Ultimate Plex Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Plex2020

May 22, 2020
I'm new here and have a question Im building a Plex server with RSV-L4412 – 4U Rackmount Server and in the future add a second chassis without a motherboard, basically I want to connect all the drive in both cases to a single motherboard!

What Card or cards do I need to do this?

11-147-233-02-100x100.jpg

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
you could use a SAS PCIe card with internal and external ports.
The sticky in this sub-forum has all the details and models you need:

p.s: 12 drives in 4U seems wasteful.
This is how the pro's do it :
Not sure if it's a good price or not. I haven't been tracking them. I got 12 drives in 2U Xyratec shelf with 2 SAS IOMs for around $140 shipped.
SAS shelves support SATA drivers, but without interposers complain about it. SAS controllers don't complain :)

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
If you haven't bought it already a 12 bay supermicro chassis would be about the same price and alot higher quality in a 2U form factor(but would use more power, and make more noise/heat). If you wanted to stick with 4u there are 24-bay options cutting the need for you to add on a shelf later.
Any of the supermicro chassis would make a solid choice as the netapp shelves if you added one of the jbod cards :https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-cse-ptjbod-cb1-jbod-power-board-diy-jbod-chassis-made-easy/

What os are you planning on running?

Reactions: Navy_BOFH