Ultimate Home Data Center

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Is this a deal?

I am fairly sure if it was within an hour of me it would be the new STH HQ. I suspect it would cost a lot more to build.

It also reminds me of some cityscapes where this happens.

mpeter

Feb 15, 2019
I doubt it.

- Will the city let you operate it commercially as a DC?
- Will the HOA let you operate it as a DC, once the previous tenant exited?
- Is it currently zoned for what you want to do with it?

Reactions: labguy and Samir

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
No, don't get me wrong I do like the price tag, just wondering why it didn't work out for previous owners.

Reactions: Samir

Mwilliamson

Aug 15, 2020
Fenton, Michigan, USA
Has the look of a Campus datacenter. Given the lack of pictures of things like bedrooms, baths, kitchen, living room, I suspect it'd be difficult for any of us with wives and families to convince them why we'd want the place!

• Haha

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
It was a former AT&T/SBC facility. Check out the description on this site when it was solicited for leasing purposes.
Not sure if the site gets that many visitors since there are no street parking, and the driveway can probably take one or 2 cars.
I was curious how a building zoned for R7.5 in Dallas was able to get away with this, but if it's under the auspices of being an incumbent central office, then it'll make some sense.
Oh well, that's more like a data center under a home facade anyways, I can't imagine any SigOth with reasonable taste being able to make it nice and cozy - those 6000k arctic white CFLs all over pretty much kill any vibes that this place might have, and the lack of natural lighting? *ugh*, you can make it your house but it’ll never be a home.

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Has the look of a Campus datacenter. Given the lack of pictures of things like bedrooms, baths, kitchen, living room, I suspect it'd be difficult for any of us with wives and families to convince them why we'd want the place!
There's a toilet there as WANg reports. Kitchen and beds can easily be arranged with some HPC machines.

Aquatechie

Oct 29, 2015
I saw this on Reddit a few days ago. Looks nice. Zero beds (no closets, I guess?) and 1.5 bathrooms make it viable.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I doubt it.

- Will the city let you operate it commercially as a DC?
- Will the HOA let you operate it as a DC, once the previous tenant exited?
- Is it currently zoned for what you want to do with it?
If it's a home lab none of this matters. :p

Reactions: Patrick and Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Gotta go grab some lottery tickets. It's all about bragging rights, right?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Just being clear, we would operate this as the next STH data center lab facility and probably have studio space. It would be awesome to have something like that.
Ah, the question is always about location, isn't it? I wouldn't mind a "house" like this on the Windward side of Oahu..

Reactions: nev_neo and Samir

Marsh

May 12, 2013
This listing, or a beautiful 10K sq feet house located in Pacific North West near Seattle.

It reminded me that my Love-Hate Relationship With San Francisco Bay area.