Ultimate high availability cluster build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Hi folks, I've been spending the last few weeks researching and building the ultimate cluster setup! I plan on using this as a basis for some commercial work loads that absolutely, positively cannot go down. The amount of $ on the line is staggering so I hope I've done my homework properly! Some of the equipment is pretty high end so don't feel bad if you don't recognize it. I know it took me weeks to figure out what half of it does, some of it is still a mystery...

Here are images of the final product:
20161213_101109-min.jpg
20161213_101101-min.jpg
20161213_101107-min.jpg

There you have it, notice the clever use of gravity to hold the high end storage devices in place! I thought about adding more nodes but just the two are so powerful I left it at that. I had to do some seriously heavy duty engineering to get rid of the vibrations from the storage system, in the end I purchased a very expensive ream of paper, it does the job perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh and Hank C

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
In all seriousness I threw a couple of spare precision workstation on a bench with some old hard drives and managed to create a storage spaces direct 2 node cluster in less than two hours. It works but it is S L O W given the 320GB ancient hard drives I found in a drawer. Microsoft hit a home run with 2016 and s2d, I will be creating a similar cluster (with new, server grade equipment of course) for myself once altaro starts supporting 2016 with their backup software.