Ubuntu MAAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Anyone work with this one? Took me half a day to understand what it does. It basically is a way to manage large farms of physical machines. You more, or less, provide it with the mac address of a machine on the network and it takes care of the rest. What's neat is the ability to use it with Juju.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have a VM with it. I got it to the point where machines would turn on, auto inventory and then turn off. Then ran out of time.

What would be REALLY nice is if I could get this setup so it would install Ubuntu 14.04 on machines and run Linux-Bench :)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
You should just set up a pxeboot image with Linux bench, should be good enough for what you need. Then you can do virtual, physical, anything.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You should just set up a pxeboot image with Linux bench, should be good enough for what you need. Then you can do virtual, physical, anything.
Great point. The nice bit about MAAS might be the ability to test 4-5 different OS or Hypervisors without needing to KVM into the machine.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I plan on firing up my dual L5639 box with 72GB of ram and hosting a MAAS and KVM Ubuntu install. From what I understand MAAS needs either physical machines or VMs to manage. I want to try out JuJu. So I will create VMs with KVM on Ubuntu, provide the MAC id's to MAAS and go from there.

Now if MAAS simplified the process some for private cloud users, and had MAAS have an interface to scale up the VMs on it's own, i.e run KVM to create the instances, or heck, if Juju created them that'd be awesome.