Ubuntu Install While LSI Controller initializes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sic_Alpha

Aug 2, 2016
I've never messed with a HW RAID controller before. I have my RAID 5 array constructed and it is currently initializing using the LSI WebBIOS, 24% completed. I read that you can install while it's initializing; it did show up during installation with the correct size so I mounted /home to it. The installation completed but when I do a
Code:
df -h
the /home mount does not show up on the list; thus the array isn't showing either. Should I have waited until the initialization was completed? The weird part is that I do have a /home with my username inside of it; which doesn't make sense to me.

Hoping I don't have to reinstall once the initialization has completed. Will check it again to see if it shows up after the initialization first.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sic_Alpha

Aug 2, 2016
It wasn't there after initializing the array. I reinstalled and everything is fine now...

azev

Jan 18, 2013
it depends on the type of initialization that you're doing, if you are doing full i think the drive will not show up until initialization is done. If you do quick/background initialization then you can use them immediately.

waltercarroll

Nov 28, 2016
USA
Why dont you get the Controller,downloaded from the LSI site? Plus you need more than just the executable, the zip file you get the contains the program is a deb package that you need to install in to your system.

Sic_Alpha

Aug 2, 2016
Thanks! I was doing a full/slow initialization as it was the initial build. I wasn't sure if quick would be ideal considering that it was the initial... I waited until the initialization completed then reinstalled Ubuntu, everything worked just fine.

Walter, are you referring to software that can interface with the controller from Ubuntu? I would definitely like the ability to retrieve the controller's status or expand/etc. the array without rebooting into the WebBIOS.