Ubuntu 16.04 Wierdness

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Hello, I just wanted to see if anyone has ran into this before. I have my existing bulk media server running on Ubuntu 14.04.4 64-bit server. Last night, I shut it down and removed my current OS drive and did a fresh 16.04 install on an Intel S3700 200GB SSD I had laying around. I have 24 spinning disks in the chassis (Norco 4224) hooked up to (3) Dell H310's flashed to the latest P20 IT firmware. This is the system I was working on.

The install went fine, an when I booted it up the first time, I did my usual apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade. I noticed when it updated to the latest kernel and ran update-grub that it was spewing errors about trying to mount all my unmounted data disks and not recognizing the filesystem type (all 24 spinners were unmounted and not even in /etc/fstab at this point).

After doing the update, I added the disks to /etc/fstab and rebooted. I was greeted by 24 errors about none of the filesystems being recognized. Want to feel your heart skip a beat? That's where I was... So, I tried to manually mount a couple of the disks with mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/test and mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/test all to be greeted with filesystem not recognized. Next, I tried to make sure the filesystem's were intact
fsck.ext4 -v /dev/sdc1 returned a clean ext4 filesystem and ensured that the superblocks were okay (I did verify backups were present with mke2fs -n /dev/sdc1 as well).

So, the filesystems "appear" okay, but are not mountable. Next, I happenned to run and fdisk -l (not the best way to look at GPT labeled disks), and noticed that all of my disks had a mix of labels from Linux Filessytem to msdos. So, I confirmed this in gparted and saw the same weirdness?!?! I really didn't want to have to re-label each disk as gpt in gparted and restore the partition, but it was looking like that was my only recourse. On a whim, I shut down the system and pulled out the S3700 and put back in my old 14.04.4 server install. When it booted, everything mounted automatically and all of the disks showed gpt partitions with no issues.

This whole endeavor, left a very bad taste in my mouth about 16.04. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas what steps I should try to troubleshoot this?

Sorry, for the wall of text.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Maybe they changed something from the 14.04 repo version to the 16.04 kernel one?
Thanks for the idea, but I'm not running the mainline kernel in 14.04 anyways. I'm running a 4.4.2 kernel in Ubuntu 14.04.4 (from Wily) and 16.04 is running a 4.4 kernel as well, so that shouldn't be the difference.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Wow. I've done a number of 16.04 upgrades but haven't run into that one.

Only one of the systems was a storage server though so somehow I might have missed this one. All the drives were part of a ZFS pool that imported smoothly.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
*Off Topic* Just checked out pics on your site -- do you have any heat issues with the HBAs not having vented brackets? Every HBA I've seen/used all had vents so I'm curious :)

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
*Off Topic* Just checked out pics on your site -- do you have any heat issues with the HBAs not having vented brackets? Every HBA I've seen/used all had vents so I'm curious :)
Good question :) That's how all the H310's come (solid backplate). I mounted a 120mm fan above them to blow air down on the heatsinks (not in the pictures), and they stay cool to the touch, so I'd say they are working fine. All my m1015's have vented backplates, so that's why I added the fan. It's probably not necessary as the HBA's heatsinks seem to stay pretty cool without it.

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Wow. I've done a number of 16.04 upgrades but haven't run into that one.

Only one of the systems was a storage server though so somehow I might have missed this one. All the drives were part of a ZFS pool that imported smoothly.
Thanks for the feedback. At this point, I've just upgraded a bunch of my VM's but no physical hardware yet to 16.04. I thought I'd play it safe and do a fresh install to prevent any weirdness from the transition from Upstart to Systemd and the newer, built-in in ZFS, but that idea failed miserably. The disks in question are all just single partitions that were partitioned in gparted with gpt labels using the whole disk. That partition was used to put a ext4 filesystem on, and then I use a combination of SnapRAID and Mergerfs on the disks to provide parity/checksumming and pooling.

The fact that I couldn't get ANY of these 24 disks to mount and all where showing weird disk labels while still showing up as viable ext4 filesystems to the standard tools was very scary/strange.

Last edited: