Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Released – Does not support Atom C3000 NICs Out-of-Box

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
VMware and Microsoft support known at all ?
It's not really a huge deal as long as you have ipmi just mount the driver disk and fixed.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
@Patrick It sounds likely that you will have to use the hardware enablement (HWE) kernel to use this hardware platform, have you tried using that?

By default Ubuntu 16.04.2 server (desktop is different) will install what they call the GA kernel (the same kernel that 16.04 and 16.04.1 was delivered with). I just downloaded an image, and it seems that you need to select "Install Ubuntu Server with the HWE kernel" in the initial boot menu, right after selecting language.

A word of caution with regards to HWE kernels, they are not "real" LTS releases (the HWE kernel with 16.04.2 comes from 16.10), with the exception of the final release, that will be based on the 18.04 kernel whenever that is released. As such, I suggest not to use them unless you have some specific requirement, such as new hardware.
Whether or not it is preferable to use HWE kernels over installing 3rd party drivers (like the official ixgbe), is probably a matter of personal opinion, FWIW my opinion is that it is.