Ubiquity ES-16-XG will these work?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
They might, but you can also get the Ubiquiti ones at FS.com. I know the netgear optics work in the US-16-XG just fine.

Ubiquit UF-MM-10G 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM

You can also email them and ask them to code some optics to ubiquiti. It's under the custom option.

Edit: you can also ask them to test the Cisco ones if you're looking to use the optics in both switches. They tested the NetGear ones for me.

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
After reading both the review on thissite and the following:
In its current state, Ubiquiti's EdgeSwitch won't have much of an edge on anyone

I am electing to hold off deployment of these for two firmware revisions or six months to see if the issues resolve themselves to my and my customers professional level of expectations.
i don't necessarily disagree with you, but keep in mind that review, and many others are over a year old now. so current state may be different...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It is not different. Copper ports are still not able to support 10g reliably and consistently.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Jan 4, 2014
It is not different. Copper ports are still not able to support 10g reliably and consistently.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
true, then again , as in my case have been using the spf ports without issue using 3m dacs now for several months, and the copper ports i only use 1gb, which works fine.

must confess i am getting rather frustrated with ubnt regarding those 10gb copper ports though, they have had issues with these for well over a year now

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

Patrick Wingert

Dec 6, 2017
i don't necessarily disagree with you, but keep in mind that review, and many others are over a year old now. so current state may be different...
I am just concerned that over the course of a year we are still seeing issues regarding a number of elements the copper 10g ports, an continuing lack of DAC cables support (Still far too selective which suggests that Ubunt does not consider this a priority) and the review here indicating some assembling and QA and software issues. I am in the business of providing solutions and having a layer three switch that is not rock solid after a year is concerning. A switch is only a small part of any solution I m offering and being paid for.

But it could undermine my clients confidence in all the other value I bring to a business as their chosen provider of IT services and that is a far more important issue. Hardware is the lowest tier of my value added offering and it must be totally reliable and not case issues with the rest of my solution proposal. For now I am gong to look at products from other vendors that are better developed and supported even at twice the price. Fortunately I only have a few customers that this is a consideration for so I can wait.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I am just concerned that over the course of a year we are still seeing issues regarding a number of elements the copper 10g ports, an continuing lack of DAC cables support (Still far too selective which suggests that Ubunt does not consider this a priority) and the review here indicating some assembling and QA and software issues. I am in the business of providing solutions and having a layer three switch that is not rock solid after a year is concerning. A switch is only a small part of any solution I m offering and being paid for.

But it could undermine my clients confidence in all the other value I bring to a business as their chosen provider of IT services and that is a far more important issue. Hardware is the lowest tier of my value added offering and it must be totally reliable and not case issues with the rest of my solution proposal. For now I am gong to look at products from other vendors that are better developed and supported even at twice the price. Fortunately I only have a few customers that this is a consideration for so I can wait.
If those are your considerations and requirements, you are looking at the wrong product, and perhaps even wrong company. I think UBNT is interesting and have some interesting products, but they have a reputation for releasing experimental products and relying heavily on community support model.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick Wingert

Dec 6, 2017
If those are your considerations and requirements, you are looking at the wrong product, and perhaps even wrong company. I think UBNT is interesting and have some interesting products, but they have a reputation for releasing experimental products and relying heavily on community support model.
I agree with you that this is not the right product for me to deploy given its current state. There has only been incremental improvements in the last several months and it looks like this will not be market ready for several years. But it makes me wonder where would it be suitable to deploy except in some geeks house as a show piece where reliability is not a concern. If its not reliable I can't think of any business other then a small IT shop looking to gain experience in a non-critical environment that could afford to have unreliable network premised on a layer 3 switch that has problems with copper connections and very tight compatibility requirements regarding the DAC cables. Anything under 200 stations would in general not have enough traffic (except for high complexity engineering and video production) to justify deploying this regardless of the low price.

I have gone into sites where they bought the lowest and least expensive used equipment they could buy, scrounge or garbage pick and then they wonder why they can get at files at 3pm when a project is due at 4pm. I usually bump my rates when I see this kind of thing on a site tour. thanks for your reply. The Ubunt business model is a new environment to me and this will aid in understanding where I can fit this in.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Ubiquity and Mikrotik is the same. It is cheaper gear for a reason. Some of their wireless stuff is great of course but most of their non-wireless gear is not that good compared to offerings from Cisco, Juniper, HP, Brocade etc.
You pay less but end up spending more time troubleshooting. Of course for homelabbers that wont get the premium support from enterprise network gear vendors anyways it may not matter much. But having that peace of mind knowing you bought quality gear is often worth it.

Don't get me started on RouterOS updates. Their release engineering suck.