Ubiquiti WAPs any good? / Buying them on Amazon?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I'm looking to move on from my Cisco WAP to an Ubiquiti WAP, specfically the NanoHD. Are Ubiquiti APs any good?

Also, I was surprised to find the Ubiquiti WAPs so prevalent on Amazon but none of them are actually sold by Amazon (only Marketplace sellers I've never heard of that are using Amazon for fulfillment). If I have warranty/support issues down the road, is this going to be a problem (i.e., manufacturer denies support because I bought it from an authorized reseller)?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Ubiquiti stuff is good.

MTK based NanoHD and AC-IW-HD are buggy and crash on me a lot. Avoid these.
Pick from UAP-AC-HD or UAP-SHD or UAP-XG if you want AC Wave 2.

Might be worth waiting for the AX gear right now...?

Reactions: lowfat

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Funnily enough, my UAP-AC-HD performs poorly compared to my Nano. I'm only a home user so I've not used them more than streaming movies and normal surfing traffic.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks everyone!

FWIW, I get the impression that most of the NanoHD problems were related to Wireless Uplink. Apparently, if that's disabled and you're on the later firmware, its supposed to be relatively solid?

That said, the extra 2.4 GHz bandwidth on the HD looks intriguing.

My biggest challenge will likely be figuring out placement since I'm not allowed to mess with the ceiling or walls and these APs don't have external antennas.

Jan 4, 2014
uplink issues are being resolved.

running the nano's, pro's and hd's , both prof and private.

these are good ap's , as are the switches.
problem most folks run into, is the options that look simple, but ccan get oone into trouble.
same goes for their fw, which is vyatta based.

only thing i can think of is the extermely slow development of their controller.
there are pleny of ways to get some more adv. configuration is the fw's, but that involves cli through ssh and creating a .json for persistancy

fsteresa

Oct 18, 2016
Birmingham
I'm interested in replacing my existing AP with a NanoHD as well... they seem like they're going to be a good value. I was close to getting UAP-AC-HD but my switch only does 802.3af and this would mean having to buy a 802.3at injector (at least) or a whole new switch just adding to the cost even more and I don't need the 2nd ethernet jack and can live without the beefer 2.4ghz band.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
My AC AP Lite does have coilwine when there's usage.
A few friends reported the same on theirs so if the AP is close to someone who could be annoyed by it, better get a AC PRO, those don't seem to have it.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I migrated from Apple access points about 6 years ago to Ubiquiti access points, tried most of their product range through to most recently 3 Unifi SHDs. For sure they are better than the the typical consumer orientated access points. A few months ago I decided to try some true enterprise level hardware to see how it would compare. I installed three Ruckus 720's and performance and reliability has been a significant step forwards, the features that Ubiquiti have been working on for some time like fast roaming now just work reliably and throughput is higher and more consistent.
TL;DR - if you are coming from consumer stuff, you could call Unify products good. If you are coming from enterprise cisco/meraki/ruckus you will likely find it less than good.