Ubiquiti UniFi USW-Leaf Overview 48x 25GbE and 6x 100GbE Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
What an absolute beast of a switch!

Smeagol: I don't need this.
Gollum: My Precious!
Smeagol:No, I really cannot justify this.
Gollum: (opens retail website): CHOLLUM!

The struggle is real ;)

Reactions: dswartz

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have absolutely no idea why anyone who has ever spent any time in a datacenter would think this is the way you should do it
- Patrick Kennedy

Clearly Ubiquiti hasn't spent anytime in one.

Reactions: cactus

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Our overview of the Ubiquiti UniFi USW-Leaf 48x 25GbE and 6x 100GbE switch where we provide our feedback in something that is not a formal review

The post Ubiquiti UniFi USW-Leaf Overview 48x 25GbE and 6x 100GbE Switch appeared first on ServeTheHome.

Continue reading...
I really don't get this product: why did they release it in the Unifi line (which I associate with prosumer/SMB and not datacentre) instead of Edgemax. Edgemax does have on-board management with HTTP(s). Just remove the display and add a 1Gb management port and use edgemax (if they do not want to use an existing NOS). That would sound like a much more logical product to me.
Data centre and Unifi (where the missing OOB port is more logical) don't fit together in my perception....

Reactions: altmind

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I really don't get this product: why did they release it in the Unifi line (which I associate with prosumer/SMB and not datacentre) instead of Edgemax. Edgemax does have on-board management with HTTP(s). Just remove the display and add a 1Gb management port and use edgemax (if they do not want to use an existing NOS). That would sound like a much more logical product to me.
Data centre and Unifi (where the missing OOB port is more logical) don't fit together in my perception....
It's interesting to see a 100Gb device below the 2k usd mark for a MSRP but the lack of management is beyond confusing, It's also oddly aligned with the rest of the unifi switches, if they expect it to be used with the other second gen switches why is it missing their new smart power feature? Also taking a look there I wonder why the USW-Pro-48-POE Gen 2 doesn't have 25Gbe instead of 10Gbe at 1099

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Deslok On the USW-Pro-48-POE I completely agree. As-is, you need to put the management traffic on one of the primary data ports. Assuming your UniFi controller is on a 1GbE/ 10GbE network, you basically lose a high-speed port due to stepping down to 10GbE somewhere if you stay all UniFi.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Are there any other switches related to this that might help it make more sense in their product stack? Also should we be taking bets on how long until someone like mikrotik decides to undercut them and do(some like a out of band management port) things better

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Also should we be taking bets on how long until someone like mikrotik decides to undercut them and do(some like a out of band management port) things better
It would certainly be interesting if they did, but they have yet to deliver a credible Layer 3 switch, that seems like a good place to start.

Mostly as a thought experiment, I've been considering adding a L3 switch (as opposed to using a firewall/router) solely for the purpose of inter VLAN routing to a network design (well... concept thought) using Mikrotik L2 switches, I guess as a sort of spine switch/router. The thought being that it would be cheaper than to use only L3 switches.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I know that they're technically sold as firewalls however wouldn't their CCR devices be perfectly functional L3 switches ?
They would, however you have to spend a LOT even to just get 12x1Gb ports and 4x10Gb ports (over $1k).

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
They would, however you have to spend a LOT even to just get 12x1Gb ports and 4x10Gb ports (over $1k).
True, especially if you want 10gig, I think the entire ccr lineup is due for an overhaul soon.

Back on topic the cpu in the unifi switch isn't particularly large, probably l2 only or are they suggesting it's capable of l3?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
True, especially if you want 10gig, I think the entire ccr lineup is due for an overhaul soon.

Back on topic the cpu in the unifi switch isn't particularly large, probably l2 only or are they suggesting it's capable of l3?
I would imagine that routing is not done on the ARM SoC but on the Nephos switch chip, how else would you even get close to routing anywhere near 100Gbe? (not to mention the total aggregate bandwidth)

Speaking of the ARM SoC, it looks like noone else has made a supported image for SONiC for even a somewhat similar platform. I went through the list of supported device images, and from going by the prefix for each device only one (a Marvell switch) is based on ARM, the remaining are all x86, I find it hard to fault Ubiquiti for not going down that road just yet.

Reactions: Patrick

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Google brought me here again :D

Does anyone have more information why ubiquity doesn't sell this switch (anymore)?

Edit, skimmed through the article again:
They also need to show product longevity. Processes like abruptly canceling products which the company has been known to do will keep many customers away.
:oops:
The irony that this was in the article...

Last edited: