Ubiquiti UniFi AC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Got a new blue-LED night lite for my upstairs hallway. Doubles as a WiFi AP...a pretty damn good one.

Replaced two old APs - uptairs was an off-brand Versa-TEK and downstairs an older Cisco running dd-wrt. Got the Versa AP because (at the time) it was the only thing with N, PoE, GigE downlink and VLAN separation of SSIDs. At least the thing didn't cost a right arm. Together they've been a constant annoyance. The Versa has compatibility issues with certain i-devices (iPad3 and iPhone 4s, though oddly its perfect with the iPhone-4 and iPhone-5). The Cisco is reliable but does not have enough power to cover the whole house by itself. Even though the setups were matched, WiFi "roaming" between the two was a complete joke.

The UniFi AC was actually the easiest AP I've ever installed. 4 screws with anchors to mount a backplate, plug it in to the existing PoE cable in the ceiling, load the software on a PC and configured it in less than 10 minutes - including setting up two SSIDs (one of them hidden and the "open" one on a VLAN that routes it right out to the internet for guests). The management software is designed to manage an enterprise full of the things, but its pretty intuitive and useful for just a single one. It has a cute "map" feature that I'll probably never use...but some people love that type of thing.

Its mounted in the upstairs hallway ceiling, top of the stairs, central to the house. Same place the Versa was before. An initial walkabout with my Galaxy S-III finds strong signal through the whole house, garage and a good part of the yard. I was planning to give this one a test drive and if I liked it I'd get a second unit downstairs. From first impressions that doesn't seem to be necessary.

Now, if I only had some 802.11ac clients to give the beast a speed test!

Last edited:

Fzdog2

Sep 21, 2012
Where did you buy?

I'd like to put one of these plus their Edge Router Lite in my new house but the extra cost going from their N AP to AC AP is hard to justify without any AC clients.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Streakwave wireless (web purchase).

The cost of AC vs N isn't all that high if you are upgrading to an enterprise/managed AP anyway. I agree it's not worth it to just do the upgrade 'just because' without client side support.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Oh sweet! AC! I'm upgrading soon I think. What model number is that one?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Oh sweet! AC! I'm upgrading soon I think. What model number is that one?
Ubiquiti part numbers are really simple and obvious: Unifi AP AC or abbreviated UAP-AC. You can do that when you have less than 10 SKUs in your catalog :)

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
How is coverage? Are you running unifi 3?

OT-ish, Why is Ubiquiti ALWAY out of stock?

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
How is coverage? Are you running unifi 3?

OT-ish, Why is Ubiquiti ALWAY out of stock?
Because companys like mine will buy like 100 at a time. FYI ubiquiti sales less that 40% of there units in the USA. I have heard on there forum that some of SKUs that less that 20% of the units are sold in the USA.

LeoS

Jun 19, 2013
Ahhh sexy...
But is there any reason to go for this model, if you don't have ac-capable clients yet?
Just installed the plain Unifi APs (bought a three-pack) in my home, and they perform real well.