Ubiquiti hardware - opinions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Occamsrazor

Feb 23, 2018
They also use standard PoE.
So do most Ubiquiti APs these days. I'm running their NanoHD off a POE Netgear Gs110TP switch, it's normal 802.3af.

The very lowest end Dell 5524 gives you two SFP+ ports, 128Gbps switching fabric (fully non-blocking), consumes only 30W and frequently trades at <$100 on eBay. Ubiquiti doesn't offer anything near this performance at even the $400 price level.
Agreed on that. Their switch lineup is sorely missing SFP+ models. Having the 48-port switch as the only one supporting SFP+ just doesn't make sense. That said the Unifi single-pane management is very nice, and once you start using it you want all your devices to be in it, which puts you in a difficult situation. How quiet is the non-POE version of the Dell 5524?

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
So do most Ubiquiti APs these days. I'm running their NanoHD off a POE Netgear Gs110TP switch, it's normal 802.3af.

Agreed on that. Their switch lineup is sorely missing SFP+ models. Having the 48-port switch as the only one supporting SFP+ just doesn't make sense. That said the Unifi single-pane management is very nice, and once you start using it you want all your devices to be in it, which puts you in a difficult situation. How quiet is the non-POE version of the Dell 5524?
The fan is barely audible when you stand next to it in a normal office environment. I'd say 40-50dB. Once in a rack, you will not know it's there.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Reactions: Occamsrazor

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I used to have a Cisco SG200 switch, was pretty reliable but I really hated the GUI..too confusing around VLANs and trunking. So I traded it in for the following (plus some upgrades to other stuff):

USG-3p (router)
USW-24 (24 port non poe, direct replacement for the SG200)
USW-16-150W (POE 16 port switch)
UAP-AC-PRO
UAP-AC-IW-PRO
mirotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM * (allow me to explain)

Overall, the Unifi gear has been great. Much better than the Asus wifi router I had, more stable, etc. The USW-24 is on par with the Cisco, but the Single pain of glass management of the unifi controller is what really sold me. It does have it's issues if you roll with the beta firmware crew like I do, but that's expected, and for the most part the "stable" releases are indeed stable. Now for the Mikrotik. I needed (well..wanted, didn't need) 10G for my Kubernetes nodes to talk to my Storage box, and the US-16-XG was just a little too expensive (~599$). The Mikrotik was 300$ (15% off ebay coupon), so it was kinda a no braininer (especially since I only needed 4-6 ports tops). I'd have rather stuck with all UBNT gear, but for half the price, I couldn't pass it up. I am happier with the UI of the UBNT gear than the Mikrotik, but I'll live.

ljvb

Nov 8, 2015
Noise is not an issue for me. I need to stop trolling ebay.. I came across Aruba Networks S3500-48p for $179 free shipping.. That seems like a pretty good deal, 600W of power to the ports, more than enough ports, has a ton of security stuff (I work in IT Security.. so thats a bonus), full layer 3.