Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SF-Rob

Jan 25, 2015
UBNT just emailed the official launch of the 16XG, so I guess they are out of beta..!
There is a Dutch supplier announcing they will have them on stock on the 29th of January.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE A2003 met Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think its interesting that they exited Beta without fixing the 10Gbase-T problems. The current firmware still does not set up correctly with newer embedded 10Gbase-T chipsets.

The DAC issues are annoying, but they never really said it works with anything but their optics so I'll give them a pass (sorta). But the 10Gbase-T part is a baseline capability that doesn't work right. Bad idea to leave Beta and launch with that issue outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aestr

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Agreed that it makes no sense to GA with that major issue still open. They are putting themselves in a situation where it will be difficult to succeed. They did it with AirVision/Unifi Video as well. Hopefully things get sorted quicker than that product line did.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Could be they are putting out a new firmware just before they are available.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Could be they are putting out a new firmware just before they are available.
This seems very likely. Maybe they'll surprise us with an amazing new firmware on launch day. You know.. The stuff that makes doves cry.

Reactions: maze

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Opened a topic on it on their beta forum.
Wouldnt it be nice to give ubiquiti feedback on testing results there, so they can see there are still lots of issues for a lot of users ?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Opened a topic on it on their beta forum.
Wouldnt it be nice to give ubiquiti feedback on testing results there, so they can see there are still lots of issues for a lot of users ?
LOL, that'd be the whole point typically of a beta release/community hah

Kinda surprised that no one has done that yet w/ all the dac/10G-T issue reported/encountered...hell maybe it has already happened but you adding a new post can't hurt.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
It's definitely been mentioned of their forums already.

Also someone brought up this very same concern about releasing with these compatibility issues. This was the response:

"Those are all firmware issues that will be fixed and don't impact the majority of users."

Ubiquiti Account

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Totally makes sense and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt if they have a 'buy our DAC's or have a validated/supported list of DAC's/optics...if they are just leaving it to the community to test out and play 'guinnea pigs' then that is weak.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Fortunately I've found DACs that work for me and don't need the copper so I have the luxury of time to wait for fixes. Fingers crossed it's all good. Certainly I'm getting my moneys worth out of them, although I might be more upset if I paid $600 each.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Same basically for me...
But what i think is bad, is that you release a new line GA, knowing there's still a lot of issues with it.

Why then beta test ?

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Will the ones from the beta be able to accept the official firmware release? I remembered reading somewhere that they wouldn't and they were only for beta and that's it.

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016
Will the ones from the beta be able to accept the official firmware release? I remembered reading somewhere that they wouldn't and they were only for beta and that's it.
I just read from Ubnt forum (answered by the employee) saying that Beta and GA hardware has the same. So I believe that the beta hardware should be able to accept any future update.