Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
What did you get exactly? ..... I'm allergic to noise as well.
I'm very curious about fans too if any one have any suggestions
I purchased two of these:

Noctua A-Series NF-A4x10 FLX 40mm Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Fan-Newegg.com

You will have to get a bit creative with the mounting as the holes are for 30mm fans. I used a single rubber mount that came with the fan on one of them and a twist tie for the other. They seem to blow at least as much air and are MUCH quieter.

Reactions: Minimum

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
That is very nice! What is your setup on both ends (servers/clients/NICs, etc)?
I'm running 2 x Dell Poweredge R510 each running dual 6 core Xeons, 64GB RAM and 56 TB RAID6. Also have a Dell Poweredge R620 w 2 x 8 core CPUs, 256GB RAM, 8 x 256GB SSDs plus a Supermicro SC216 with 16 x 400GB SSDs as a DAS. The R620 is the primary VM host. This Hyper-V host runs about 14 VMs (Fastvue, Plex, Unifi, mFi, Minecraft server, Mattermost, osTicket, Teamspeak, Snipe IT, Sophos iView, FreePBX, Nextcloud, as well as a few web servers).

Backup Hyper-V host is a Poweredge R420 with 2 x 6 core CPUs, 256GB RAM, and 8 x 400GB SSDs. The R420 runs primarily idle and is only used for testing or available if the R620 fails. Each server has Intel X520-DA2s. The entire setup is backed-up with Veeam B&R.

As far as clients, they vary from Intel NUCs to tablets, phones, laptops, desktops, Rokus and smart TVs, as well as family members who backup to the R510s.

Perimeter and DHCP is handled by a couple Dell R210 II running Sophos Home in HA mode (needed the horsepower to maximize bandwidth throughput with web filtering turned on).

Wifi is provided by a Meraki AP (soon to be retired once the free license expires, with a Ubiquiti AP AC).

I'm lucky enough to enjoy 1Gb internet where my teenaged kid gobbles up half the bandwidth on a regular basis. Lol

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
Ya know what would have made me jump...if those last 4 ports of copper 10G would do failback to 1GbE (sure they do this) AND PoE :-D
Confused... Do the 10Gb copper ports not support 1GBe or is this a bug? All of the Ethernet products I've worked with have scaled back as needed and I guess I just assumed this work work.

Every day I learn a bit more that makes this deal seem to be too good to be true. The 10Gb switch seemed to simplify things, but at this point a few of the dual port 10Gb NICs I already connected in a mesh and Gb fiber link aggregation with my existing TP-Link switches doesn't seem so bad.

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
Anyone else had this issue?
Package contains an item that is controlled for export from the USA for encryption capabilities. We would like to inform you that there is an export licensing exception available for this item. The fee to prepare the necessary export documents for your shipment will be $50 and will be added to the final cost of your shipment.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
Anyone else had this issue?
Package contains an item that is controlled for export from the USA for encryption capabilities. We would like to inform you that there is an export licensing exception available for this item. The fee to prepare the necessary export documents for your shipment will be $50 and will be added to the final cost of your shipment.
Who are you shipping through? Stackry does not have that problem.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
Seems like a bit of a scam from myus though.. every IoT device has encryption or some kind of embargoed technology. I know shipping with Stackry to Canada is no trouble, as I just got one of mine in today with no additional fees.. (well, asides from the congratulatory bill from Revenue Canada for taxes and import duties...)

GladLock96

Nov 8, 2016
I bought two US-16-XG's fand they should be arriving on Wednesday! I can't wait! But does anybody know any quite 30mm fans to replace the stock fans? Normally, my goto would be to use Noctua fans but Noctua only goes down to 40mm fans. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Minimum

Nov 4, 2016
Aliso Viejo, CA
I bought two US-16-XG's fand they should be arriving on Wednesday! I can't wait! But does anybody know any quite 30mm fans to replace the stock fans? Normally, my goto would be to use Noctua fans but Noctua only goes down to 40mm fans. Any thoughts or recommendations?
A user earlier in this thread said that they replaced the fans with 40mm Noctuas. They required some creative mounting in order to work but they worked nonetheless.

I actually ordered 2 of those 40mm Noctuas today based off of their recommendation. Once I get them I'll see how difficult it is to mount them.

GladLock96

Nov 8, 2016
A user earlier in this thread said that they replaced the fans with 40mm Noctuas. They required some creative mounting in order to work but they worked nonetheless.

I actually ordered 2 of those 40mm Noctuas today based off of their recommendation. Once I get them I'll see how difficult it is to mount them.
Yes, please post a couple pics when you have the replacement fans secured and please keep me posted on what you modified to make it work since I'm looking my Ubiquity 48 port switch, which I also just received, and need replacement fans on and I just don't see how a 40mm fan will work in a 30mm slot. Only one screw can be used, and the lid won't close with a 40mm fan.

Dean

Jun 18, 2015

Yea, I did the same - considering wife got me the switch for Christmas, and its going to be near her... last thing I need is a loud switch in the office.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Other than being a 10G switch, what is so "special" about this switch? I am trying to figure out what the hype is about.

PS: I know nothing about 10G networking, so please don't flame me for my ignorance ^_^

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Other than being a 10G switch, what is so "special" about this switch? I am trying to figure out what the hype is about.

PS: I know nothing about 10G networking, so please don't flame me for my ignorance ^_^
Price

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Price is part of it, but only when you take the other features into context as there are cheaper 10G options such as the LB6M. For the price you're getting a switch that includes 4 10G base T ports. It also uses far less power than the LB6M and is much quieter and can be made even more quiet without much effort. The fact that it's new is nice, but I don't think it's the decider at all. Also some people really love the simplicity of the Unifi controller and this is great for them.

For me the power usage was the major selling point. Moving to LA in May and after seeing the terrifying cost of electricity I'm trying to cut down consumption as much as I can without giving up features.

Reactions: warlockedyou

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Price is part of it, but only when you take the other features into context as there are cheaper 10G options such as the LB6M. For the price you're getting a switch that includes 4 10G base T ports. It also uses far less power than the LB6M and is much quieter and can be made even more quiet without much effort. The fact that it's new is nice, but I don't think it's the decider at all. Also some people really love the simplicity of the Unifi controller and this is great for them.

For me the power usage was the major selling point. Moving to LA in May and after seeing the terrifying cost of electricity I'm trying to cut down consumption as much as I can without giving up features.
Ahh, that makes sense. I didnt think of the power and how loud it would get. That makes sense. I actually need 1 more 10G switch, but I dont know how I feel about using "beta" stuff, specially when I dont have any freaking clue how to connect it to the rest of the devices.