Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Yup, hardware should be identical. The CLI should also be identical. The white switches are managed through a unifi controller and generally give you fewer options (unless you use the CLI) but you can integrate them with other unifi equipment. The black switches have the edgeos interface which is standalone but gives you more direct control from the web interface.
so, if i'm to use this white one the way it was intended, i have to also buy this unifi controller?

you said CLI should be identical, does that mean it is possible to use this white one via CLI as standalone? (basically, like the "Edge" version)

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
what is this Unfi Management thing?

can one download the "Edge" firmware and flash it on to this unit? has anyone tried?
Unifi is a centrally managed system ubiquiti has designed that interoperates with all of their unifi gear. Using it you can manage their routers, switches, wireless gear, and whatever else they have from a central interface. It is quite nice but a little dumbed down if you need absolute control (fortunately there is the command line for that). I do not believe you can cross flash firmware, at least I've never heard of anyone doing it... Here is a list of the unifi equipment:

Ubiquiti Networks - Enterprise

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
so, if i'm to use this white one the way it was intended, i have to also buy this unifi controller?

you said CLI should be identical, does that mean it is possible to use this white one via CLI as standalone? (basically, like the "Edge" version)
The controller is "free" though they do have a hardware based version (cloud key) that runs about $90, otherwise you can install it on linux or windows for free. I have no idea if you can use it standalone without first connecting it to a controller, I didn't try mine until I could join it to a unifi setup. I believe you need unifi to update the firmware which is a big deal on these since they are so new...

Reactions: BLinux

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
I tried configuring it without the unifi controller and I had zero luck. I also didn't try the console port so there is that.

Has anyone else figured out how to enable jumbo frames on this thing?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The controller is "free" though they do have a hardware based version (cloud key) that runs about $90, otherwise you can install it on linux or windows for free. I have no idea if you can use it standalone without first connecting it to a controller, I didn't try mine until I could join it to a unifi setup. I believe you need unifi to update the firmware which is a big deal on these since they are so new...
Thanks Jeff! Have you tried the Linux version of their controller software? Do you happen to know if it works well if converted to RPM for RPM based distros? (looks like it is a debian package)

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Thanks Jeff! Have you tried the Linux version of their controller software? Do you happen to know if it works well if converted to RPM for RPM based distros? (looks like it is a debian package)
My current controller is version 5.4.6 running on a virtualized version of ubuntu 16.10 so I know that config works just fine. I have no idea if it would convert properly but linux is free so it is probably worth a shot! They have a few different versions available for download including one that is not supported but might work on other distros.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
One thing i am not really a fan of from looking through the end of that ubiquiti thread is that they have no plans to try and support anything other than their SFP+ optics on these. They are not going to lock the ports down to only their hardware but they are also not going to officially support any 3rd party optics or DACs. Would have been nice if they did at least support some DACs officially

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Agreed, that is a bummer. No guarantee that if your DAC works today it will still work tomorrow after the next update.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Well everybody should also remember that these are beta products, yet to be officially released, and reduced rates.
I would think that should buy them a LOT of credit.

I will be testing :
Mellanox connectx-2 in 2 x vsphere 5,5.5,6 and 6.5
Connecting through cisco dac and cisco gbic to
Omnios using a intel 520-da2

Omnios running 192 gb ram and 16 ssd (intel 3700 200 gb)

Should give me plenty to stress test and fiddle around with
Let me know if you get the Gbic to work. That was the one thing I didn't like about the Quanta is that Gbics didn't work with them.

namike

Sep 2, 2014
Finally convinced myself to purchase the switch last night! I'm pretty excited for some 10Gb action for the home lab. Went looking for some cheap 10Gb NICs on the bay and remembered the previous Mellanox Connect-X2 cards for cheap. Picked up (5) cards and (5) 3M DACs for $90 shipped. DACs in the picture look to be the Cisco ones that were mentioned in the other thread about this switch. Hopefully they will link up fine. Thanks again for the deal.

Reactions: Dean

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Finally convinced myself to purchase the switch last night! I'm pretty excited for some 10Gb action for the home lab. Went looking for some cheap 10Gb NICs on the bay and remembered the previous Mellanox Connect-X2 cards for cheap. Picked up (5) cards and (5) 3M DACs for $90 shipped. DACs in the picture look to be the Cisco ones that were mentioned in the other thread about this switch. Hopefully they will link up fine. Thanks again for the deal.
I think I have the exact same set, probably from the same buyer. The cables are indeed Cisco's.

On the server side (VMware ESXi 6.0 build 3620759) sees the connection as up, but the switch doesn't see the link as up.