Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
@rnavarro you put these into production? That's some bravery. Beta from Ubiquiti does not scream confidence.
Well "production" is a relative term. My homelab lives in a Colo facility....so prod for me but I serve no paying customers [emoji14]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: OBasel

Dean

Jun 18, 2015
Noooo...finally got the sign off from the wife, went to buy - deal is done

Anyone have an extra they wish to sell?

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
No sticker on mine either. So far, it's doing well for me-- but I had a couple of issues where ports (11&12) seem to be a little picky-- 11&12 won't accept the same passive twinax (dell/force10) cable that the other ports will, but they will accept SFP+ (force10 10gb-SR) transceivers.

Turning off auto-negotiate (saw someone had mentioned trying) didn't help-- but not a big deal-- for now, I'll just put transceivers where they seem to be "liked" and twinax where they seem to be liked ;)

A little bit of a quirky setup experience, but so far, I definitely have been pleased w the switch & performance. Heck, even the SAP (Spousal Acceptance Factor) has been high on this purchase!

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Noooo...finally got the sign off from the wife, went to buy - deal is done

Anyone have an extra they wish to sell?
There was a comment on Reddit this morning that this price increase was "not intentional" and that the deal should continue till January. They stated that the site should be fixed "shortly".

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Through some clever cabling (still going to buy the right cables) I managed to get both of my US-16-XG's in a high availability config. (Still missing one cable, but I'll order some tomorrow)

All of the servers now use both uplinks, one to each switch, so I can push out firmware updates to these switches without downtime.

I tested rebooting either switch, everything fails over nicely.

W000t

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
@rnavarro, please tell us how you managed that?
All of the switches in my topology support RSTP.

I run many VLANs in my setup, here is an example of how things are all hooked up.

HE_FMT2 Network Diagram

The top orange-ish section is the VLAN that carries my public internet traffic, the bottom blue-ish area represents my private VLAN traffic.

I have 3 switches in my topology, my top of rack HP 1910, and two US-XG-16's. (There are 4 boxes that say US-XG-16, but there are only two physical devices. I split it out for ease of comprehension)

The DVS - x boxes in the middle represent my ESXi hosts. I have two uplinks on each vSwitch that connect physically to both US-XG-16s.

With this topology there exist multiple paths for all traffic, so if one of the US-XG-16's goes down traffic will pass through the other.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help (but we should take it to the networking forum if that's the case)

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
keep checking it looks like the price has been going back and forth between the sale price and regular price the last few days

wsuff

Aug 16, 2015
As far as I can tell Ubnt is trying to offer 2 types of products 1s with their Unfi Management and their Edge [routers/switches/etc] line which is more cli/power user targeted. Hardware wise they are likely identical or close to it so more a firmware/targeted use.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
As far as I can tell Ubnt is trying to offer 2 types of products 1s with their Unfi Management and their Edge [routers/switches/etc] line which is more cli/power user targeted. Hardware wise they are likely identical or close to it so more a firmware/targeted use.
what is this Unfi Management thing?

can one download the "Edge" firmware and flash it on to this unit? has anyone tried?

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Yup, hardware should be identical. The CLI should also be identical. The white switches are managed through a unifi controller and generally give you fewer options (unless you use the CLI) but you can integrate them with other unifi equipment. The black switches have the edgeos interface which is standalone but gives you more direct control from the web interface.

Reactions: wsuff