Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
This is UniFi version of the ES-16-XG. 12x SFP+, 4x 10GBase-T. Datasheet.

Beta - UniFi Switch 16 XG - Ubiquiti Networks Store

Need to be signed up for the Ubiquiti Beta Program and signed in to purchase, US-only.

----
Putting some updates here for people joining late:

Noise: These switches have fans so they're not silent. They're the quietest thing in my rack and nothing in my rack would be considered loud. I have a second XG about 5' from my desk and the fan noise isn't bothersome and pretty much any background noise drowns it out. They use 30mm fans so quieter replacement options are pretty much non-existent unless you want to hack up the case to mount larger fans.

Power consumption: For me has been steady at 19w measured on an mPower Pro. As a comparison, the Quanta LB6M I replaced drew 129w. In Patrick's review of the ES-16-XG it idled at 17.8w and peaked at 41.6w under heavy load.

Cabling: Like the ES-16-XG, these things are picky about DACs and optics.
People have reported that the XGs will work with 1Gb optics but they have to set the port speed to 1Gb.

If you're buying all-new cabling, the optics from UBNT are your safest choice.

NICs: Many have reported problems with Intel 10GBase-T cards and embedded NICs (ie: Xeon-D, Xeon v4).

Routing: Ubiquiti's official stance is that these are not Layer 3 switches and the L3 features have been removed from the CLI. If you need L3 @ 10Gb, look at the ES-16-XG instead but beware they have a 493-entry APR cache limit. If you can live with 1G routing, a USG / USG-PRO-4 integrates nicely through the UniFi Controller.

UniFi Controller: Everything in the UniFi line is intended to be managed from a UniFi Controller which provides single-pane-of-glass management for UniFi APs, switches, and routers. Optionally it can connect to their "cloud" for remote management. The Debian package installs painlessly on recent Ubuntu distros and Ubiquiti offers a cheap UniFi appliance-on-a-stick. You need to be running a controller from the 5.4.x line or later to manage the XG (currently still in Beta).

If you want CLI management, get the EdgeSwitch.

If you've never used UniFi equipment, check out the Demo Controller.

Last edited:

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Looks like a pretty decent deal for centrally managed stuff.

Does anyone familiar with Ubiquiti beta products know if it will be fully upgradeable to a release firmware version once available?

The real question is what do I do with my LB6M that I only just unboxed...

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Beat me to it, I was just going to post this. I've been waiting to purchase one of these for a while, I was going to let the firmware mature but this deal is too good to pass up. Since the black version of this has been out for a while I would assume only the firmware is beta.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Wow, thanks for sharing! I immediately joined the beta-program and ordered one to Norway using a freight forwarding service.

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
subscribing to the beta program seems not to be available at the moment - site for beta program does not load.

BTW, what's the difference between the unifi version and the non-unifi version?

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
@aero and @dtrv

As far as I know from the hardware point of view they are the same. The only difference is how you manage it. With the unifi version you can ONLY config it using the unifi software. With the non-unifi version you can use a web client to config it.

howardrya

Sep 16, 2016
I just bought one. It was too temping to pass up. I can report back when I get a chance to play with it.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Definetly gonna order one when home, what do you guys think of the Mesh APs? I do need an AP to cover a large home at ~20mbps or so, think it's the right fit?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Any idea if these will eventually get normal/supported firmware? Don't want to end up with some EOL busted thing but that price is so tempting

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Wasn't going to. But bit...ugh...might be OK if I wrap it and put it under the tree from the wife. But assuming they ship it soon I'll never be able to leave it unopened until the 25th.