UART connector pinout/adapter for Supermicro SAS backplanes?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
All Supermicro 8x6 backplanes have a 4-pin UART connector which should allow some kind of CLI access and possibly SMP. Is anyone aware of the pinout and whether a level converter is required, before I have to dig out my multimeter and the backplane to figure things out?

istamov

Jul 31, 2015
I would be very interested in this too, unfortunately my backplane (BPN-SAS2-826EL1) is at least two weeks away so I won't be able to research it myself. My guess is that the levels are 3.3V.

Yesterday I read found this too: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry and from what I understand it should mean that one can use AOC-USB2RJ45 with CBL-0165L to update the firmware, but I cannot find more information on this.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
I would be very interested in this too, unfortunately my backplane (BPN-SAS2-826EL1) is at least two weeks away so I won't be able to research it myself. My guess is that the levels are 3.3V.

Yesterday I read found this too: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry and from what I understand it should mean that one can use AOC-USB2RJ45 with CBL-0165L to update the firmware, but I cannot find more information on this.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Please keep up posted when yours arrives. Peering into the case to look at the backplane connectors is neck-crick-inducing, so I'll have to pull mine out at some point.

Simply updating the firmware is very easy as long as you connect the backplane to an LSI HBA (RAID cards don't work). It's exposed as its own device in Linux under /dev/bsg/ (and presumably in Windows), and Supermicro has an Xflash utility that does the flashing -- which has options to use either the 'in-band' connection or a COM port to talk to the expander. Always get firmware/MFG updates directly from Supermicro.

On Areca RAID cards with LSI expanders, they provide a separate RJ45 port on the back and a DB9-to-RJ45 cable that lets you access the expander CLI, upgrade firmware, etc. My interest in accessing the UART is diagnostics and management, since my RAID card appears to hide the backplane expander too.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I am very interested what you find out izx, I am still trying to figure out how I can recover my missing expander chipset after a bad flash.