U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xicaque

Mar 28, 2017
Olympia
@K D

What power supply are you using with your UNAS?

These cases are fine, but I hate that they get warm. I do not like warm. One of the 1U PSU gave up the ghost. I am looking to replace it but I am not too impressed with Athena Power. They suck!

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Guys...looking at this Chassis, would an Flex ATX MB like the Supermicro X10SDV-2C-7TP4F fit in this? Right now, i'm specing out parts for a new NAS build. Needs to accomodate 6 x 3.5" Seagate NAS HDDs, and 3 x SSDs, 2 in the 3.5" and 1 on the SSD mount on the side.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I have busted knuckles, bent cables (those silver cables are AWFUL), and the sheer fact that I DID NOT READ WHAT TYPE OF MOTHERBOARD I BOUGHT! all contributed to many trips to Amazon to buy another set of materials.

I'll post my build pix but from my initial findings:

1. Those silver cables that come with the base case, any small bend and kiss them goodbye, they are as fragile as fibre cables.
2. Wear gloves, other folks weren't kidding when they said you'll get cuts on this case, it's damn sharp. I have knicks from somewhere that I'm not sure how I got
3. The 120MM fans are OK, not the best but they are pretty quiet, go upto 1500rpm and fairly silent, no sense to go Noctua (of course I did...)
4. The piece of plastic that comes with the case is ONLY for mini-itx motherboards, won't work on the larger micro-atx motherboards
5. There's plenty of space for a larger cooler in this case, a low profile is required but I could've gotten a bigger one.
6. **** Zip Ties.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The easiest way to build in this case is to completely take it apart and then out it back together with the guts in place.

The fans are actually a little noisy when running at full speed. Replacing with Noctuas was a good idea. I've been wanting to do it but the thought of working in that case again was enough of an incentive for me to get used to the fan noise and also I have been running them with supermicro optimal fan speed and they are dead silent at that speed.

I like the case because it keeps 8 drives at ~30 degrees and is extremely quiet. But I would think hard before I do another build with this case.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The easiest way to build in this case is to completely take it apart and then out it back together with the guts in place.
This is precisely what I did. I took your work blog and stripped this case down to the backplane. It was 10x easier this way.

Reactions: K D

brinox

May 7, 2013
But I would think hard before I do another build with this case.
I thought hard as well, and ended up buying the Supermicro 721TQ since I was downsizing to much denser drives. The build quality of the 721TQ is leaps and bounds above U-NAS. I originally bought the NSC-800 a few summers ago and was running an Avoton board with a PERC RAID controller. I modified the cover to hold a 70mm PWM fan which worked great. However, working with that case was a nightmare. its SO cramped that its so worthwhile to not even bother with after your initial build. If you're switching parts at all, you might want to consider another case.

Likewise, the build quality started to show quickly. Two mounting screws for the chassis itself stripped in the first build. The mounting cover uses specific bolts to secure it; they're smaller diameter heads make a difference apparently. The thumbscrews I've acquired over the years do not fit since their threads are a different pitch.

All things considered, I'm glad I went the 721TQ route from Supermicro. I wish Ablecom/Supermicro offered the 8-bay version like the FreeNAS Mini XL has, but no one does...

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The supermicro has 1/2 the amount of drive bays as the UNAS as you pointed out. I need more drive bays and even though this case is a PITD to work on it is still a huge upgrade from the previous model.

LaRocK

Jun 1, 2017
Hi all first post on the forum.

At the point of buying this case for a windows server build, can KD or anyone else who has it advise on the height of the 810A? including the feet. And does it vent out of the top at all? Have to know if it's going to fit in my TV cabinet or not, thanks in advance.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
@LaRocK

The specs on the site will tell you dimensions. I can affirm that there is NO venting ontop. All venting is out the back.

LaRocK

Jun 1, 2017
@LaRocK

The specs on the site will tell you dimensions. I can affirm that there is NO venting ontop. All venting is out the back.
Thanks Chruchill, just wondered if the height of the 810A was bigger than stated as it looks bigger in the pics than 800