U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jdd561

Apr 11, 2016
I just received this chassis this week. I've replaced the 120mm fans (Gelids) with Noctua fans, and have installed my PSU. I will try to transplant my current FreeNAS build into the case on Monday - I plan to run an 80w Xeon, 5x5TB 3.5" drives, and an HBA in the case. It does also come with a 70mm Gelid fan which I may or may not keep - I will first attempt running it off an old Noctua fan resistor to quiet it down. I will say I am impressed with the build quality - fit and finish is very nice, although some interior surfaces are kind of rough-edged metal. I am somewhat nervous running that Xeon in such a tight space - it has a Noctua NH-L9i cooler on it - so that will be a nice test with commonly used parts for it.

It appears to be a really nice design for cramming all of these parts into so few cubic liters of space!

BTW - I asked them to include a PCIe ribbon and SAS cable, which they did for me. Unit also shipped with the 2.5" SSD plate for mounting an SSD to the chassis.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My experience with trying to tame the Noise Beast.
1. The amount of air a given fan move is related to how loud it is. The louder, the more air it moves. And conversely, the quieter the fan the less air it moves.
2. The amount of air that moves through the box determines how cool your CPU, HD's, Ram and video card run.
3. You should always make cooling mods in the heat of the summer, not when in winter. If you live in Nome Alaska or Siberia, this may not apply.

Fan mods never worked to my satisfaction. They always resulted in overly high temps all the way across the board during the summer. I finally settled for moved the air through the server room as much as possible via improvised box fans and a couple of table fans aimed at the rack. Even then, in the heat of the summer (South Georgia), the server room is still a good 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house when they're all running.

Bottom line is - Too keep them cool, you gotta move air, lots of air.

Reactions: i386

jdd561

Apr 11, 2016
I have run my current setup in an iStar mini-itx chassis for years on my basement floor. It, too, has quite restricted airflow. I'm hoping that two 120mm fans (versus my current single 120mm fan) will suffice to cool the HDD bays. With the mobo being on top and somewhat isolated from the drives and psu, combined with the fact that my hot Xeon sits idle when not transcoding for Plex (which generally feeds my local Apple TVs, so little transcoding even occurs) will mean manageable heat.

My hope is that I've gained 3x3.5" drive bays, a quieter PSU (a gold rated 350w over a non-rated 220w Sparkle PSU that ALWAYS spins its fan), and a generally more visually attractive server I can sit on the desk rather than hide behind the desk on the floor.

I look forward to seeing what works as planned and what doesn't. All gain with no trade-off would be awesome. If heat gets iffy I may entertain the idea of using a metal punch over my CPU fan to aid in getting heat removed from the system, or running that 70mm full tilt. We'll see!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
In earlier times I did a lot with quiet/silent computing mods. At a very high level @Fritz is correct, but I can't let this go by without some comments.

My experience with trying to tame the Noise Beast.
1. The amount of air a given fan move is related to how loud it is. The louder, the more air it moves. And conversely, the quieter the fan the less air it moves.
Partly true. Noise isn't related to moving air - its related to air hitting things and vibrating. Or things that move the air vibrating while they do it, like Fans.

At similar size and airflow you can get higher quality fans that move the same amount of air with less noise. But the marketplace is fickle and you really only find the sizes and speeds that have enough of a market to make selling them worthwhile. So your choices and how much you can achieve is limited. If you need to move the same amount of air as a 40,000RPM 80mm fan you can, indeed, make it quieter. But you can't make it quiet. If you are working with 1U (40mm fans) then just give up...

Also, while the better fans (Noctua, etc) do have improvements in bearing quality and blade shape most of their benefit comes simply from slowing the fan down - thus reducing the airflow. In most cases you can achieve 80-90% of the same benefit by just slowing down the fans you have (either with a resistor mod or PWM control).

2. The amount of air that moves through the box determines how cool your CPU, HD's, Ram and video card run.
Yup - nothing but truth there.

3. You should always make cooling mods in the heat of the summer, not when in winter. If you live in Nome Alaska or Siberia, this may not apply.
Generally true, but YMMV depending on your environment.

Fan mods never worked to my satisfaction. They always resulted in overly high temps all the way across the board during the summer. I finally settled for moved the air through the server room as much as possible via improvised box fans and a couple of table fans aimed at the rack. Even then, in the heat of the summer (South Georgia), the server room is still a good 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house when they're all running.
This is especially true when working with small fans (40mm). The quiet fans just don't move any meaningful amount of air at all. With larger fans (120mm) the quiet fans really do work well in most conditions.

In my experience, you can do more good by making sure the air moves through the case and over the equipment correctly. Seal off places you don't need/want the air to go into (or come from). Build ducts and shrouds to make sure the air from the fans hits the heatsinks. Lost of air moving randomly does not cool your equipment.

Bottom line is - Too keep them cool, you gotta move air, lots of air.
Yup - pretty much this.

Reactions: TangoWhiskey9

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I replaced both fans in my original UNAS case with Noctua's. They quieted the system down quite a bit from the already whisper quiet that the case was. I'm a bit concerned of that smaller 70mm fan to see how noisy that will get when it starts kicking around at full speed.

Still waiting on shipping notice for my unit. Not sure why this is taking so long to ship out a unit to me.

jdd561

Apr 11, 2016
It took only a couple of days from my purchase before my unit was shipped. I did see a delay in actually getting a shipping/purchase receipt e-mail - in fact, I e-mailed a question about what was included in shipping and saw my receipt in the response before I was actually e-mailed the receipt directly. Once that ball got rolling, though, I thought the shipping was fast and VERY well packaged considering the distance/customs hoops a direct from China package would have to go through.

I am also most curious about how the 70mm fan will perform. I am optimistic the rest of my system will be quiet/cool enough.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Got the shipping order from China. Will be here next week. Amazing it will come around the world in 5 days.

Did you fire up the 70mm fan? Was it loud?

Sound2005

Feb 28, 2017
Hi All
Those with the case, could they confirm how many 2.5 drives this holds please?

On the website it states:
810A - 1 x 2.5" HDD
810 - 4 x 2.5" HDD

I Know the 810 supports Mitx boards with 1 pci slot and the 810A supports Matx boards with 2 pci cards slots but the 810A to only have 1 x 2.5 bay seems means. 2 would have been better!!!

I'm hoping the website for the 810A has a misprint!!

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I can completely confirm that the 810 does NOT have 4 2.5" slots on it at all. There is only one holder for a 2.5" hard drive, 2 if you really squeeze the drives in there.

the 810A has a place on the side of the case where you put your 2.5" drive for use.

You can also get brackets to convert the 3.5" to 2.5" to put in your case

Reactions: Sound2005

Sound2005

Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for confirming @Churchill

I'm happy to go ahead and buy the 810A case.
Will now look for the parts while I wait for this unit arrive.

Will let you guys know how I get on (I'm in the UK so not sure how long shipping will take)

Last edited:

jdd561

Apr 11, 2016
I got my system transplanted today. Mixed results, but I'm happy with it. Temperatures and noise are pretty similar with my old setup for the CPU - honestly, my old system wasn't loud. But I have 3 extra drive bays, and my HDD temps are about 10 degrees cooler than before. My 80 watt Xeon hovers around 37 degrees, but does warm up to the 70s if I push it hard with mprime for long enough. Real life use - transcoding 4k down to cell phone video quality - it only hits the 50s. Not bad for such a tiny box.

I have an e3-1231v3, an 8 port HBA, and two SSDs crammed into the mobo tray area. Cable management skills suck, so I'm sure that is costing me some cooling. I have 5 of the 8 3.5" bays utilized. The 70mm fan is pretty quiet, audible, but only when I put my ear to it. It looks so much more like a professional NAS product from the outside than my old iStar - it was very functional, but very 'square'.

Like I said - not a ton of performance gain, but I'm happy with it!

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Started the build today.The insides are full of sharp edges. Had to take the front panel out to take out the motherboard tray to be able to adjust the backplane sata/power cables. Weird combination of rivets and screws had been used to put this together.
The Atx power and 8pin power cables from my psu were not long enough. Thought about crimping longer cables to make cable management easier but was too lazy to do it and just picked up an extension cable in Frys.

Using a X10SL7-F with an E3-1265v3 that I picked up from @sfbayzfs. My heatsink will be delivered tomorrow and I should be able to complete the build. Will try to post pics after that.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
My chassis came Monday and I haven't had a chance to take it out of it's box with pix of all the unboxing glory. When I do finally take it out i'll photograph the crap out of it for you guys and give it a proper shake down.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Using a X10SL7-F with an E3-1265v3 that I picked up from @sfbayzfs. My heatsink will be delivered tomorrow and I should be able to complete the build. Will try to post pics after that.
Argghh!!! The Front panel cables do not reach the motherboard pins and I am out of Dupont connectors to crimp an extension. The Atx power extension I got from Frys Is not long enough.

Right now I have the case completely broken down. Ordered some cables and connectors from Amazon that should get here tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish this. If not I won't be able to get to it till next week :-(.

Last edited:

Xicaque

Mar 28, 2017
Olympia
I have two of the NSC 800 chassis. I am thinking of selling them as I am not too pleased with the amount of real estate...

I've gone with SUPERMICRO SuperChassis CSE-743T-665B Black 4U
That beast sure has lots of space!

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The NSC-800's are great for an 8 bay NAS setup. They are compact, efficent, and work very well for what they do. IF you need space a UNAS is not the best choice (8 bays vs 13+)

Reactions: Sound2005 and K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The NSC-800's are great for an 8 bay NAS setup. They are compact, efficent, and work very well for what they do. IF you need space a UNAS is not the best choice (8 bays vs 13+)
Agreed. If you need an 8bay server then they are great once you finish your build. They are extremely quiet. Mine is barely audible with 7 drives loaded. The build is a PITA but once it's done you get a great system. The other option in this space is the DS380. But to get it to this lovely of quietness and cooling I had to replace the fans, grill and add a cardboard piece to redirect airflow.