U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
pulled the trigger. $245 shipped.

Have it here next week. oh goody goody!

The big question is: Do I wait to rebuild my NAS with this case or proceed on with the one that I have...choices choices.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Currently in my UNAS 800 I'm using a mini-itx with an I3 with active cooling, replaced the pair of back fans with Noctua's for more cooling from the 7200RPM hard drives.

I plan on relocating all my hardware to this case and rebuilding my main UnRAID server with this setup. I'm still not sure how the hell these guys say you can put 2 2.5" hard drives in this case, there doesn't appear to be any room for it.

I'd love to put a micro-ATX xeon in this puppy but i've blown my budget for the next 6 months on WD 6TB Red's. Maybe when my Toshiba refund comes in I can spring for a xeon-D.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
pulled the trigger. $245 shipped.

Have it here next week. oh goody goody!

The big question is: Do I wait to rebuild my NAS with this case or proceed on with the one that I have...choices choices.
pics pics pics ;)

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
How much is a C3000 motherboard going to cost though? $6-800? I'd have to buy all new networking for 10G. Yes, cost of this hobby, but those Atom motherboards have been super pricey.

Right now I'm looking for an inexpensive xeon-D micro-atx motherboard.

pics pics pics ;)
When the system comes in I'll snap lots of pictures. Might finally do a build log of this puppy.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
How much is a C3000 motherboard going to cost though? $6-800? I'd have to buy all new networking for 10G. Yes, cost of this hobby, but those Atom motherboards have been super pricey.
I would be surprised if they end up being that much. It is still going to be quite awhile until we see 8+ cores in the wild. The 2 core model we have in the lab I might guess is $250, maybe less? No idea until they hit street in quantity though.

When the system comes in I'll snap lots of pictures. Might finally do a build log of this puppy.
I cannot wait.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
to upgrade i'd at least need a 4core/8thread minimum as the i3 2/4 is doing an OK job with the handful of plex streams that I throw at it. Upgrading to a Xeon class system or an 8/16 would be a dream especially if there was some low profile cooling.

I can afford to wait, unless you have a sample micro atx xeon motherboard you can reassign for 'testing purposes' of course @Patrick ;)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That comment is provocative. When do we get to see specs on that board you have in the lab?
Good question. Intel did not seem too pleased with me publishing C3000 benchmarks last week. I said that the C3338 has been on ARK for a month and a half so plan is early next week for benchmarks.

Now... Let us discuss in hypotheticals. Hypothetically one could look at page 15 in a document that was published before the C3000 schedule push, and perhaps find an answer https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/brochure/brochure_Embedded.pdf

Who knows what hypothetically one may find on the bottom left of page 15.

@Churchill btw one idea on the mATX side... Ryzen 7 1700 + mATX will be sub $475. Networking will be poor. No IPMI. No onboard video. Less RAM. But it will run circles around Xeon D and that models TDP is 65w.

I told the AMD folks "65w is the one I am excited for" and the response was "that is because you are smart".

I actually bought myself the 65w part and the 7 1700X alreadysine I want to run them in personal machines.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
@Churchill btw one idea on the mATX side... Ryzen 7 1700 + mATX will be sub $475. Networking will be poor. No IPMI. No onboard video. Less RAM. But it will run circles around Xeon D and that models TDP is 65w.

I told the AMD folks "65w is the one I am excited for" and the response was "that is because you are smart".

I actually bought myself the 65w part and the 7 1700X alreadysine I want to run them in personal machines.
I'd love to try a Ryzen system. The price can't be beat. Make it even cheaper and I can go with the R1500 which is STILL a 6 core/12 thread system.

Not having IPMI won't be too bad as I have a networked KVM. RAM? I only need 16GB.

Networking: I'm seeing higher end motherboards coming with INTEL network stack which is HILARIOUS.

Not having onboard video might be the dealbreaker here as that means 1 more card which means no 10GB card can be put in this case unless the motherboard supports 10 SATA ports (8 front drives+2 SSDs) and running that cable is going to be a nightmare. I have one spare PCI slot in this case as I'll be using a M1015 to breakout the sata ports.

Possible contender:
I know this has realtek network card but it has onboard video. I can slap in a better NIC if I need to:

Amazon.com: ASUS Prime B350M-A/CSM AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 USB 3.1 mATX B350 Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

Also I haven't seen any low profile CPU fans for the AM4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I would be surprised if they end up being that much. It is still going to be quite awhile until we see 8+ cores in the wild. The 2 core model we have in the lab I might guess is $250, maybe less? No idea until they hit street in quantity though.

I cannot wait.
$225 at wiredzone so less than 250, I would not expect to see them much cheaper that that for a good while.

Supermicro A2SDI-2C-HLN4F Embedded Processor

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I have one on the way to be delivered next week. Not sure what I am going to do with it though. Finally decided to consolidate all the individual boxes in a rack and then I go buy this :-/

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I have one on the way to be delivered next week. Not sure what I am going to do with it though. Finally decided to consolidate all the individual boxes in a rack and then I go buy this :-/
These systems are VERY quiet which is surprising. The big fans in back are whisper silent even at full speed they barely make any noise. You could easily put this case in a living area and it would look like it fits with the rest of the entertainment.

Heck make it an offsite backup, packed full of hard drives I bet the thing ways 30 lbs.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Can someone recommend a board/cpu combo for this? I'm thinking of using it to replace my backup fs that is currently running Windows 12r2 in a ds380 case ( some mobo/i5 cpu) and making this the main home server. Mainly media storage and serving plex-xbmc clients, ad,dns and backups for my workstation and laptops. Definitely need ipmi/ikvm.

The case will house 8 8tb reds in raid 6. Os will be win 12r2 or win 16.

I do have a X10SDV-4C-7TP4F with me that I planned for a different build (Looking to replace my 24 drive archive server -Areca raid and Intel expander with a freenas based one) and dont really want to use for this build.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Fedex finally delivered the box today. I've ordered a Silverstone 1U modular PSU to use with this case. I'm still not sure about the Motherboard/CPU combo to use here. Any recommendations?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
When did you orders yours @KD ? I ordered mine last week and so far haven't got any shipping notification

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Ordered on Feb 18th and It was shipped on 21st.
nearly 6 days to get to you then give or take. Did they email you any tracking number? I just got my receipt from them and there's no mention of a tracking number.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I got both in an email with subject "The receipt and tracking number for your order #" with the receipt as a PDF attachment.