U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Price is pretty steep but they're pretty much the only NAS enclosure chassis maker, plus the price is almost the same as the ITX variant. Not defending the price tag in any way, but just pointing out that there really isn't a better alternative out there.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I would've gotten this over the 800 series as the 800 is a PITA to work on compared to this puppy. I'm not sure how you would be able to mount a CPU cooler in this thing to keep the CPU from overheating. I don't think low profile is going to cut it here. I guess there is a CPU exaust fan on the side of the case?

I think the only way to make this a useful 'server' (EL OH EL UNAS) case would be to cut a hole where the CPU is and mount a fan unit to pull the heat from inside the case out.

Reactions: jang430

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I'm guessing the Noctua low-profile cooler may fit but hard to tell from the pictures. It would make sense there are ventilation holes directly above where the CPU would sit.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
@eroji The pictures are HORRIBLE and I dont see this ventilation holes that you describe in any of the photos. Which ones detail the cpu exhaust holes?

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Oh I'm just saying they should design it that way. Not saying there are holes stock. My guess is it doesn't. There is no top profile with the cover on too, so I'm not absolutely certain.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a thought - for a simple 8-bay NAS with 10GbE I doubt people will be using mATX by Q3 this year.

Where I would see this is for a mATX i3/ E5 V3 low power build. Either option also means you have a LOT more heat to dissipate.

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
Just as a thought - for a simple 8-bay NAS with 10GbE I doubt people will be using mATX by Q3 this year.

Where I would see this is for a mATX i3/ E5 V3 low power build. Either option also means you have a LOT more heat to dissipate.
What about FLEX-ATX? This solution seems to be tailormade for a Xeon-D Virtualization/NAS Build.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016

Why not? i could see a low end xeon being shoved in here with onboard 10GbE with a sas riser card.

I'd love to see what these guys mean by the SSD's being 'stackable' I don't see a second place to put in a 2nd SSD.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

@Patrick I would think the X10SDV-2C-7TP4F would be great in this case provided the cooling configuration can be worked out. And it just so happens I may be putting one up for sale shortly ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: pgh5278

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I could fit the entire "production" part of my rack into that little case...

- X10SRM-TF (socket 2011-3 with 10Gbase-T)
- E5-2630 v4 (probably the hottest chip I'd want in that small volume, though a 2650L might be fun too)
- Would have to find a nice quiest low-pofile Narrow-ILM HSF. The big Noctua won't fit.
- 128 Gb RAM
- boot Proxmox from M.2
- VMs on a PCIe NVMe drive, or use a larger M.2 drive for boot & VMs if I'm lazy
- Pass through both SATA controllers to a VM running FreeNAS
--- 8 WD reds (6tb probably sweet spot for cost).
--- 2.5" SSD for ZIL

I give up the fault tolerance and tear down Ceph, but it would to the work. And not sweat doing it.

Last edited:

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I could fit the entire "production" part of my rack into that little case...

- X10SRM-TF (socket 2011-3 with 10Gbase-T)
- E5-2630 v4 (probably the hottest chip I'd want in that small volume, though a 2650L might be fun too)
- Would have to find a nice quiest low-pofile Narrow-ILM HSF. The big Noctua won't fit.
- 128 Gb RAM
- boot Proxmox from M.2
- VMs on a PCIe NVMe drive, or use a larger M.2 drive for boot & VMs if I'm lazy
- Pass through both SATA controllers to a VM running FreeNAS
--- 8 WD reds (6tb probably sweet spot for cost).
--- 2.5" SSD for ZIL

I give up the fault tolerance and tear down Ceph, but it would to the work. And not sweat doing it.
But then you realize it's pretty hot for all that eqipment, and you'd like to install extra PCI card (or two). And purchase nice case from "NZXT/Phanteks/Caselabs/etc" for $100 (Not caselabs for $100 obviously).

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
This case makes the Kepler-47 project much more available... without the thunderbolt networking.

when and where are they available?

Chris

Grey535i

Feb 4, 2017
This case makes the Kepler-47 project much more available... without the thunderbolt networking.

when and where are they available?

Chris
The email I received is listed below.

("We will put them on the market right after the Chinese New Year holiday (around Feb. 6).
Best regards,
Ye")

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Since this case support micro-atx this opens up a WORLD Of new motherboards to use not just the mini-itx ones.

I own the Unas-800 and replaced the back fans with Nocta fans and I have to say you need some heavy cooling to keep those spinning drives from overheating. The airflow in this case is awful even if you run the cables so they are NOT blocking the fans from cooling the backplane.

Moving the motherboard to the top and power supply to the side will alleviate those cooling problems as the power cables probably won't be in the way of the fans any longer cooling the drives down.

I would probably put in a small microatx motherboard with a xeon and a 1U after market HSF combo. Like above I need to see how far the mobo is from the case as blowing the heat right to the top of the case is pointless as that will just heat up the metal. Cutting a hole in the case for the CPU fan may end up working and give you a much bigger HSF for use. This reminds me of people putting blowers in the old muscle cars from the 70s.

If anyone gets this case please post pictures. I do want one.