Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

t22sth

Jan 25, 2023
Agreed. I just got my X12STH-F up and running and seeing as those features will cost me about $150usd I am missing the Tyan even more now. Shameful.
Could you please reply with the ram part number you used, I am not having luck with getting ram to work with X12STH-F.
Thanks

t22sth

Jan 25, 2023
I got the H12SSL-NT from NewEgg - it was an open box on offer for $400.

Since everyone was raving about SuperMicro H12 and X12, decided to go for it. I have to say the BIOS is slower than the Tyan and the SuperMicro UI looks like it's 1997 :rolleyes:

I prefer the simpler Tyan UI - not to mention that Tyan offers remote BIOS for free
Could you please reply with the ram part number you used, I am not having luck with getting ram to work with X12STH-F.
Thanks

rafalsz

Feb 2, 2023
Hello, I just got this board, and being new to server hardware, I would like to ask for clarification of power connectors used by the board. The manual specifies 3 power connectors: ATX 24 pin (J60), CPU Power Connector(J63), and another 12V Power Connector (J65). I assume that this J65 connector should be connected to the exactly same CPU 8-pin power cable as J63 (especially considering the same voltages and connector key shapes), but would like to confirm that with you guys who have systems with these boards already running.

Below is the link to the excerpt from the manual:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hello, I just got this board, and being new to server hardware, I would like to ask for clarification of power connectors used by the board. The manual specifies 3 power connectors: ATX 24 pin (J60), CPU Power Connector(J63), and another 12V Power Connector (J65). I assume that this J65 connector should be connected to the exactly same CPU 8-pin power cable as J63 (especially considering the same voltages and connector key shapes), but would like to confirm that with you guys who have systems with these boards already running.
yeah J63 and J65 are both connected to EPS 12V

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
There are two nvme m.2 slots on the Tyan. What kind of mounting hardware do you need to secure a 2280 drive? I see two holes lines up on each slot but not sure what the hardware is called to purchase.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What kind of mounting hardware do you need to secure a 2280 drive?
i have seen those oval holes at the olympus open compute project motherboard, very special.

M.2 SSD Anchor
M.2 SSD fastener
M.2 SSD standoff
M.2 SSD clip
M.2 SSD mount

edit: i had this in mind and now remembered where seen before...
Dell Optiplex 3050
Broken M.2 Pin.jpg
edit:
the Dell Part number is DHR6X ( SPCR,FIX M.2 SSD,MT,D8 )
you put it in the oval-hole, then turn 90 degree to lock it in the PCB.

Last edited:
Reactions: xtr

rafalsz

Feb 2, 2023
Yes, these holes are for toolless m.2 drive latches, my seller sold me a board with one from Tyan (with blue button) and a different one looking closer to what's on RolloZ170's picture

There is a video from Level1techs on this MB where these latches are shown

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
I imagine that we all bought from the same seller, I have both sets of mounting solutions as well but not really fond of either. I think I'll end up using nylon bolts and screws to fasten down the drives when I populate them.

It's still kind of crazy how hard it is to purchase these on their own.

xtr

Jan 6, 2023
I just went to Computers, Monitors & Technology Solutions | Dell Canada, logged in and spoke to chat about ordering part number DHR6X. I can use the parts that came with my board but I want uniform mounts. I'm not exactly sure what the reasoning is be-hide offering two types of house that come on the Tyan.

(2) $3.99 Spacer,FIX M.2 SSD,Medium Tower,D8
Subtotal: $7.98
Shipping &/or Handling:n $0.00
Estimated Tax: $0.70
Total (USD): $8.68

rafalsz

Feb 2, 2023
I checked that again and it's true, they aren't featured in that video.

I have one more question - I've heard that some server motherboards reserve some RAM for their own use - is this also the case with this one?

I installed 8x16GB DIMMs, and Windows as well as CPU-Z recognize only 112GB installed. I had it resocketed in what appears to be a fairly professional services center, and the same amount is shown (though CPU -Z weirdly shows something like 5 slots filled with 112 GBs combined)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
check the DIMM population in BIOS.
UEFI uses some RAM but not much.
7x16 = 112 only one DIMM missing. what is a kilobyte, 1000 or 1024 ?

rafalsz

Feb 2, 2023
The top slot on the board (D0 if I remember correctly) was not recognized to be filled which I thought as seating problem, but persisted after resocketing both CPU and a few DIMMs and a few people suggested that cause to me. Could be faulty CPU/board, but I am trying to avoid shipping it back to China as much as I can.

rafalsz

Feb 2, 2023
I have identified the problem, which in hindsight is much simpler and dumber. I was previously using a consumer motherboard in the same case and forgot about one of the standoffs, which was exactly below the problematic slot and was shorting the memory pins. Luckily there seems to be no permanent damage, entire memory is being recognized now.

Reactions: pixelBit

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I have identified the problem, which in hindsight is much simpler and dumber. I was previously using a consumer motherboard in the same case and forgot about one of the standoffs, which was exactly below the problematic slot and was shorting the memory pins. Luckily there seems to be no permanent damage, entire memory is being recognized now.

This specific motherboard has eight standoffs instead of nine - always catches folks out. Had the same issue when I installed inside a Norco case, so it's not just consumer cases :)