Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I’m using all 8 slots with 128gb ram and it all works. Not a design issue.

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I think you hit the nail on the head here... I just used a hex key to install the processor retention (I am an idiot obviously) so I'm quite confident this is the problem (exact torque requirement).

Thank you so much for the knowledge!
Here's tools you can use:

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
I ended up getting the Husky tool linked. Took off the HSF, took out the CPU, reinstalled the CPU with torx bit at appropriate setting, reinstalled HSF with phillips bit at same setting, and the problem persists.

Going to try a full CMOS reset, then take the motherboard out of the chassis and repeat above to see if anything is messed up. I'm pissed. :(

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Also check for any standoffs under the ram slots. Had an issue with a sm board for the longest time so I populated only two of the channels until recently when I freed up the server and went to debug the issue.

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
I only have the eight standoffs installed where the motherboard mounts.

Does anyone know what the red LED is near the dimm slots?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Oh FFS, a pin bent somehow.
It’s possible to bend it back. Search Linus’s YouTube channel for ‘resurrecting a broken motherboard - bent socket pin’. I wouldn’t use a knife like Linus does, you should use a dental pick and use loupes or a large magnifying glass

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
The Tyan FRU-CS-1230/Slim SAS 8i to 2* U.2 (NVMe) cable is now available from retail (e.g. Acme Micro), the price is a steep $75. With shipping and taxes, it's an eye watering $95 :eek:

Update: Purchased one and here's the pic. It comes with a Molex connector for power and not the usual SATA power connector (Enterprise NVMe drives will take 3.3v and 12v). Seems high quality and right now I'm looking for some refurb/second hand NVMe drives to test this out with.

IMG_1312.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: whbeers and Kev

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I noticed a new version of the BIOS on Tyan's web page - ver 3.01

Here's the change log. Will try to install it over the weekend ...

File Name:S8030GM2NE_bios_v301 (11.5M)
File Date:2020 / 09 / 09
Version:V3.01

Description:
1. Update AGESA to RomePI 1.0.0.8.
2. Added BIOS setup items.
AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > "SMU Common Option > APBDIS"
AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > "Preferred IO"
AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > "Preferred IO Bus"
AMD CBS > DF Common Options > ACPI > "ACPI SRAT L3 Cache As NUMA Domain"
AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > "Local APIC Mode"
AMD CBS > UMC Common Options > DDR4 Common Options > Security > "TSME"
AMD CBS > UMC Common Options > NVDIMM > "NVDIMM-N Feature"
Chipset > "PCIe Compliance Mode"
PCIe Slot Configuration > PCIe Slot Link Speed Configuration
3. Added SMBIOS type 9 PCIe slot information.
4. Change "IOMMU" default setting to Auto.
5. Change Redfish BMC IP to read only.
6. Remove the "Auto" option of "NUMA nodes per socket" setup item.
7. Change Memory speed unit from Mhz to MT/s.
8. Fixed SMEE can't disable by setup item.
9. Fixed BMC redfish connection sometimes timeout issue.
10. Fixed the NVDIMM I2C race condition issue.
11. Fixed USB Keyboard not working occasionally.
12. Fixed LSI RAID card will cause reset during POST if Enabled EFI RAID driver.
13. Fixed POST show "CMOS or NVRAM was cleared" when doing AC on/off cycle test.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I have to report - BIOS v3.01 caused some weirdness with my motherboard.

The server runs ESXi 7.0b and has
- NIC0 disconnected
- NIC1 connected to the ESXi management network
- NIC128 which is a Mellanox 40GbE adapter

When I upgraded from BIOS 3.00 to 3.01, the BIOS showed NIC0 and NIC1 - but under ESXi NIC0 disappeared and NIC1 would not get a DHCP address. Resetting the ESXi network stack didn't help.

Reverting back to BIOS 3.00 solved the issue (after another network stack reset) - I can reproduce the problem reliably - by going to BIOS 3.01. Also, tried setting ACS and PCIe ARI enabled, disabled and on 'auto' - didn't help.

Very strange and I would avoid 3.01 if folks are running ESXi

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
Thank you for that update hmw. I will postpone the DC upgrade as that really would have knocked my uptime down significantly.

I will say this btw, Tyan has the most pleasant advanced RMA I've ever done before. I invested in the Husky torque wrench and a set of bits and did the motherboard swap in the middle of the DC racks and everything worked perfectly upon bootup. 10/10 rating for Tyan.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Thank you for that update hmw. I will postpone the DC upgrade as that really would have knocked my uptime down significantly.

I will say this btw, Tyan has the most pleasant advanced RMA I've ever done before. I invested in the Husky torque wrench and a set of bits and did the motherboard swap in the middle of the DC racks and everything worked perfectly upon bootup. 10/10 rating for Tyan.
Jordan - did you have to RMA the board? The bent pin couldn't be straightened out back?

I'm a bit worried about the ESXi 7.0 compatibility. I hope Tyan fixes the ESXi networking issue before they release another new BIOS to support Zen 3 based EPYC chips

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
Yeah I did. I tried to mess with it a bit but my hands nor tooling are good enough for such a repair. If I made it worse then it couldn't be put back in to service until the replacement was received. Honestly I'm amazed it was stable even while partially crippled.

I'm assuming you cleared the bios data/reset the cmos? What move are you thinking about making once zen3 drops? I've been very satisfied with my 7302p's performance.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
What move are you thinking about making once zen3 drops? I've been very satisfied with my 7302p's performance.
Zen 3 is supposed to have much lower idle power + faster floating point. I might actually go for a 24 core CPU to replace the current 16-core 7302p

whbeers

Jul 11, 2020
Heads up, I've got a couple S8030GM4NE_2T boards that had an equivalent "v1.01" bios update with the same comment. After upgrading both boards refused to POST ("PSP Post Code: BAAD"). No amount of clearing cmos / resetting settings fixed it.

I thought it might be that the BMC-based firmware update process was broken, but had the same behavior after downgrading then re-flashing using the EFI shell. Guess it's just a bad update.