Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hey guys, I also bought the Tyan board and 7302p from Provantage and received them fairly quickly. Quick question for you guys - have you been able to mount ISO media when using IPMI? Every time I've tried to use the java program to mount images it abruptly closes. The HTML5 interface has no option to do such a thing. Anyway, I'm running ESXI7 beautifully with a PM983 m.2 drive and 24*3tb zfs array in an 846 chassis.

Bonus pic: https://u.teknik.io/8fmo7.jpg
I tried to install ESXi 7 via IPMI and it wouldn't work - I suspect very strongly it was the ISO mount that corrupted the ISO somehow. It would install and then crash half way through the install process. The board has some other quirks (the weird fan speed control) but other than that - it's been stable and most importantly, I have had zero issues doing passthrough for a GTX1080 and a LSI2308. Now off to find a ConnectX-LX and do SR-IOV with this :)

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
@hmw shoot me a pm, I may have the card you're after for sale with some DACs (mods please edit this if not allowed.)

That's an interesting thought in regards to the SMB corruption, I will need to test this to confirm once I get this machine back to the datacenter. I have noticed zero issues with speed control - seems to be quiet/slow speed until stressed, kicking in airflow. Kind of disappointed in the lack of PWM headers but this is obviously meant for a 2u chassis with shroud.

Have you tried installing ESXI7 via usb? That worked successfully for my installation on to a 32gb satadom.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Has anyone gotten the BIOS page working from the IPMI web UI? The username / password is Administrator / superuser - but it just gives an empty AMI page - anyone else have anything different?

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.46.20 AM.png

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
Has anyone gotten the BIOS page working from the IPMI web UI? The username / password is Administrator / superuser - but it just gives an empty AMI page - anyone else have anything different?

View attachment 14673
Using the same login/pass provided results in the same conclusion.

I'm going to compile a list of issues and see what Tyan says, would like to know if anyone has already done this. The firmware just seems broken in a lot of ways.

Reactions: hmw

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Using the same login/pass provided results in the same conclusion.

I'm going to compile a list of issues and see what Tyan says, would like to know if anyone has already done this. The firmware just seems broken in a lot of ways.
I've reached out to Tyan regarding:
  1. FAN control - IMHO it isn't as sensitive or well organized as SuperMicro, where there's 2 or more separate cooling zones and the range is far better
  2. Lack of SlimSAS 8i to dual NVMe cables. The board says these are optional items but when I asked Tyan if I can buy these - they said 'special items, not for common use'
  3. The BIOS button should come up with a 'BIOS' page that one can use to change the BIOS settings from the IPMI HTML5 window, without needed to use the IPMI KVM - so it really is remote BIOS
Haven't reached out regarding the IPMI remote media mounting issues. The board is stable and quite good - it's just the BIOS is a bit rough around the edges

All the tickets to Tyan have gone unanswered. The problem with SM and Tyan is that unless you're a big player, they will pointedly ignore you.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I've opened a case on:

1) PMBUS not working on S8030GM2NE - asked me to try another PSU with PMBUS but I do not have one.
2) BIOS menu in IPMI interface bring up blank page - Reply is: I'll talk with my engineers about this but this is most likely due to the BMC firmware being a initial release so it'll be a while before redfish is enabled

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
I've reached out to Tyan regarding:
  1. FAN control - IMHO it isn't as sensitive or well organized as SuperMicro, where there's 2 or more separate cooling zones and the range is far better
  2. Lack of SlimSAS 8i to dual NVMe cables. The board says these are optional items but when I asked Tyan if I can buy these - they said 'special items, not for common use'
  3. The BIOS button should come up with a 'BIOS' page that one can use to change the BIOS settings from the IPMI HTML5 window, without needed to use the IPMI KVM - so it really is remote BIOS
Haven't reached out regarding the IPMI remote media mounting issues. The board is stable and quite good - it's just the BIOS is a bit rough around the edges

All the tickets to Tyan have gone unanswered. The problem with SM and Tyan is that unless you're a big player, they will pointedly ignore you.
I have good experience with sm. For new products I always get replies within a day or two. Even for 5 year old products they still reply to my emails, sometimes it takes a bit longer but I don’t recall they ever missed a reply.
I’m not a big player.

Reactions: gb00s

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
So I just checked and my Tyan board was purchased on the 28th of May - this gives me three days to return for a refund if I were to pursue a SM H12 board or even ASROCK boards. However I took a gander at the SM product pages and theres no QVL or manual, etc leading me to believe that most/all of the boards are released with a flawed initial firmware package. Should I go ahead and return this or do you guys think Tyan will be fixing this up in fairly rapid order? The requirement of having an SMB share for mounting images bothers me the most. I have it installed and stable... would rather not rip it out for a lateral move.

Thanks for the input.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I'm banking on it eventually being fixed but since everything is working and stable, why rip it up? Is the server in a location where you can't really use a usb boot drive if you really needed to re-install?

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
When I finish liquidating all of the hardware in the current rack and go back to a single server (shared) colo I won't have any access to the racks anymore. It would cost around $80 to remove the server, would have to work on it outside of the rack somewhere, and would then need to be re-racked.

Or I could just set up a secondary boot medium also loaded up with the hypervisor in case the primary boot fails, so I could just change boot order and be done. I'll do that. :) I'm going to keep it and hope for the best. I didn't realise the H12's were delayed. Thanks everyone for the input.

Cinnabyte

Jun 26, 2020
I got this same Tyan board, as well as a configuration with 64GB Sk Hynix RDIMMS to make 512GB RAM and an EPYC 7742... However when I boot, the post codes seem to hang on "0022"... I'm not sure what's going on here, after I tried 8GB RDIMMs and an EPYC 7542 to diagnose and the same code pops up on any config I put in it. I sent a ticket to Tyan about it and never heard back, so I suppose I should RMA? Anyone have ideas?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
However when I boot, the post codes seem to hang on "0022"
You should use the manual and look at the last 2-3 codes that you can see before the 0022. That tells you where in the boot process it is hanging. From the manual:

0x1D – 0x2A: OEM pre-memory initialization codes

So it would seem it is hanging on memory init. Maybe check the CPU socket?

Last edited:

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Unless the pin has broken off - it’s actually possible to bend them back. Search Linus’s YouTube channel for ‘resurrecting a broken motherboard - bent socket pin’. He shows a Threadripper motherboard with a bent pin and what he does to fix it (I wouldn’t use a knife like Linus does). The first step is to inspect the motherboard. If you don’t see any broken or bent pins - it could just be too little or too much pressure on the CPU <-> motherboard pads
Got the threadripper tool after making myself dizzy looking at the pins
took pics couldn't find any bent pins put everything back still the same problem :(
was about to give up and decided to take the board out of the case and try it that way
and bam the shit works lol maybe something in the case created a short?

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
took pics couldn't find any bent pins put everything back still the same problem :(
was about to give up and decided to take the board out of the case and try it that way
Happens all the time. I resorted to use dual channel instead of quad channel on my x10-srh mobo until recently when I upgraded to epyc, I took a closer look including changing a different processor until I noticed a stand-off under one of the memory sockets.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Usually there's 9 stand-off's on chassis supporting ATX motherboards -- the Tyan mobo has eight and one of the standoffs is directly under the memory slots. If the standoff isn't removed, it will short out the memory slot(s) (see pic - usually there's a standoff where the red circle is)

mobo_stand_off.png

The other thing is how tightly the motherboard is screwed into the standoffs - if some are differing heights or if the screws are over-tightened, the motherboard can bow and flex - that is REALLY bad as it can cause intermittent shorts and difficult to diagnose faults

Finally, the case and back panel can sometimes have things that touch solder points, components and traces, you need to be careful when installing the I/O shield for example

The good thing is that the motherboard is working, so you just have to go over all this with a fine toothed comb.

What case are you using?

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I had this exact same issue with my Supermicro x10 motherboard. Missing that standoff location and the dimm slot was in its place.