Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Like 3 weeks without any updates and then it shows up at my door.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Crap just noticed this

Expected shipping date for this order is Tuesday, July 21, 2020.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
So provantage never updated the shipping status and then I get a notification from Fedex that a package was inbound. It lands on my door step and to my surprise, it's my CPU. 3-4 weeks from ordering. When did you order?

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
June 3rd also today I noticed the charge for the cpu was removed from my card board and cooler got here today

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Have hope that it will come earlier. I know I was dying waiting for mine. Which motherboard did you end up getting?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
June 3rd also today I noticed the charge for the cpu was removed from my card board and cooler got here today
Yeah they do that all the time. Your best bet is to look at the inventory. If it says 'Special Order' - they dont have any in stock. If they say '10 available' that means that there's inventory that came in and you can expect yours to ship out soon. Also, keep watch with FedEx or UPS, they usually ships via FedEx ...

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I can not get IPMI to monitor the PSU even though I have a supermicro PSU with PMBUS plugged in. Does anyone else have a power supply with PMBUS 1.2 to try on this motherboard?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I can not get IPMI to monitor the PSU even though I have a supermicro PSU with PMBUS plugged in. Does anyone else have a power supply with PMBUS 1.2 to try on this motherboard?
I got the AX1200i for this purpose but it wouldn’t fit into the case. I’ll be taking the motherboard in a week’s time to mount the case fans better - will try with the AX1200i then

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Ended up canceling my Provantage CPU order and ordering from CDW
I went with 64gb 4x16gb of the Samsung ram to start the manual says to use
umc4,umc5,umc2,umc3 i keep getting an error at boot about umc2 and the board disables it
I tried different sticks in that slot same result

I put the ram in umc6,7,1,0 and that works fine do you guys think I should RMA this board?

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
also in the ipmi in the event log, I see logs from May and March is this normal?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
also in the ipmi in the event log, I see logs from May and March is this normal?
Yes this is normal, the boards are VERY new and will have logs from quality testing. I had logs from May but not March ...

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Ended up canceling my Provantage CPU order and ordering from CDW
I went with 64gb 4x16gb of the Samsung ram to start the manual says to use
umc4,umc5,umc2,umc3 i keep getting an error at boot about umc2 and the board disables it
I tried different sticks in that slot same result

I put the ram in umc6,7,1,0 and that works fine do you guys think I should RMA this board?
What if you try with 2 DIMMs? What slots do they work in? UMC2 & UMC3?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Very often it isn't the motherboard but the CPU mounting. To definitely rule that out - you MUST use a torque wrench or the Threadripper tool and follow the instructions to mount the CPU correctly with the correct torque setting. Visually inspect the board to make sure it is not bowed or deformed. Use a magnifying glass and inspect the CPU socket for bent pins. And inspect the CPU for any debris on the pads. Never use your hands to touch the pads or pins - there's quite a bit of oil on your skin that can coat surfaces - use plastic or latex gloves.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Ordered the Threadripper tool hopefully i didnt bend any pins :(
Unless the pin has broken off - it’s actually possible to bend them back. Search Linus’s YouTube channel for ‘resurrecting a broken motherboard - bent socket pin’. He shows a Threadripper motherboard with a bent pin and what he does to fix it (I wouldn’t use a knife like Linus does). The first step is to inspect the motherboard. If you don’t see any broken or bent pins - it could just be too little or too much pressure on the cpu <-> motherboard pads

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
Hey guys, I also bought the Tyan board and 7302p from Provantage and received them fairly quickly. Quick question for you guys - have you been able to mount ISO media when using IPMI? Every time I've tried to use the java program to mount images it abruptly closes. The HTML5 interface has no option to do such a thing. Anyway, I'm running ESXI7 beautifully with a PM983 m.2 drive and 24*3tb zfs array in an 846 chassis.

Bonus pic: https://u.teknik.io/8fmo7.jpg

Reactions: hmw

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Hey guys, I also bought the Tyan board and 7302p from Provantage and received them fairly quickly. Quick question for you guys - have you been able to mount ISO media when using IPMI? Every time I've tried to use the java program to mount images it abruptly closes. The HTML5 interface has no option to do such a thing. Anyway, I'm running ESXI7 beautifully with a PM983 m.2 drive and 24*3tb zfs array in an 846 chassis.

Bonus pic: https://u.teknik.io/8fmo7.jpg
Yes you can mount iso from the ipmi web page. You specify a SMB folder with the ISOs and then you can select the iso to mount.

The issue that others and Patrick have noted with asrockrack boards is also present here. The performance is horribly slow so be prepared if you are installing a big distro using iso.