Tyan S7050 OS Compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Rough day :mad::mad:

Does anyone have experience with the Tyan S7050 series motherboards?
I recently grabbed an S7050A2NRF to replace my E3-12xxV1 setup.

Am very slowly getting enough parts to actually start testing it and today I stumbled upon internet information saying it's not compatible with > Windows 7; and ESXi V6.0

My plan was a minimum ESXi 6.5

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
While I have no clue on about this motherboard, I do love a mystery.

Tyan's site shows WIndows 8 as tested for this board. But, since its been EOL for a while, I'm sure they didn't even bother to test it against Windows 10. I think if 8 worked though, there's a decent chance that 10 will too? TYAN Computer: OS Compatibility List - Intel Xeon E5-2600 v2

The drivers page for the board does have the disclaimer that, while the driver file details say they will work with Windows 10, Tyan can't guarantee that the drivers work with Windows 10 on that board. They list that disclaimer with a lot of their EOL stuff though, and at least for the boards I've had (LGA 1155 and 1150) Win 10 still worked anyway with just the Microsoft drivers. If you want 10, maybe try to load that up and see if it just works?

ESXi is a bit harder to figure out, as I'm sure you found out. The board itself isn't listed in the VMWare compatability guide, but there is a Tyan Server (B5619) listed for up to 6.7u3 that has the same CPU configuration (2xE5-26xxV2). So, I suppose there's a chance. I totally struck out searching for details on what board is actually inside a B5619 server. Just that it was 1U.

Good Luck!

I will be using an E5-2650v1,
The Tyan board will only do 3 or 4 v2's (greater TDP than I'd prefer)

Didn't even occur to me that things might be less supported - I figured it was newer tech than the E3v1 that things would justwork.
But I'm not having the best time still - just went to plug everything in for the first time only to finally tweak that it needs a gpu :eek:
(S7050A2NRF lowest spec has no ipmi)

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Well, they're about the same, first gen xeons e3 and e5 are RATHER old. I wouldn't have that much hopes for it to run recent vmware. 6.5 is quite legacy now. Will definitely run centos with kvm though!

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The Tyan board will only do 3 or 4 v2's (greater TDP than I'd prefer)
Yeah, that's an interesting compatibility list. I've had a few boards over the years that would do the V2 CPUs and I never even worried about CPU model. I figured if they took one they took them all, and never had an issue. On the other hand, maybe I just got lucky.

With very few exceptions, all the V2 CPUs were released on the same day, so the chances of being successful with just picking one even if its not on the list are probably higher than with some of the other Intel CPU families that they released in waves and the vendor only tested with the first ones that came out (like they did with Haswell). There are a decent number of systems that run E5 v1 on the ESXi 6.5 compatibility list (not from Tyan, but that doesn't mean you're out of luck). When you get to 6.7 there's still a few. But by the time you get to 7.0 it drops to only 4 and at that point, I'd bet its more an error than any confirmation that it will work! :oops:

But I'm not having the best time still - just went to plug everything in for the first time only to finally tweak that it needs a gpu
That looked to definitely be a more workstation oriented offering. Its got onboard sound after all.

Kyawsoe

Jul 24, 2021
My Tyan S7050 A2NRF is no boot after Flash Bios update , Bios Flash in 4 step, after done step 2 , automatically power off , and then again power on . But no boot , CPU fans and system fan are on and orange and green LED also on,

Plz any suggestions

thanks

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
My Tyan S7050 A2NRF is no boot after Flash Bios update , Bios Flash in 4 step, after done step 2 , automatically power off , and then again power on . But no boot , CPU fans and system fan are on and orange and green LED also on,

Plz any suggestions

thanks
You should create your own thread for this question, else you will just derail a thread about ESXi support.