TYAN Customer Support (Tomcat HX S8030)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
Considering that STH consist of a good mix of professionals and enthusiast, I'm not sure where else to post this question.

What is your experience with Tyan customer support?

I have a ticket open that's processing from November 26 for a Tomcat HX S8030 (S8030GM4NE-2T), so I called tech support at 510-440-8080 and regional at 510-651-8868 to no avail as everything goes to voicemail.

It is an awesome board, but the Tomcat is showing a failure at P0_UMC2_CH_D0; during POST it throws a "WARNING: P0_UMC2_CH_D0 has failed. It has been disabled."

The PMU training error persist with any of the following troubleshooting: (1) used memory on the QVL, (2) rearranged/swapped memory locations and configuration settings, (3) reseated the CPU, (4) tried a different CPU, and (5) tried different memory.

Both sets of memory and both processors work fine with a Supermico motherboard and does not report any errors, so I assume the Tyan motherboard is malfunctioning. The questionable DIMM slot works after many reboots, but its hit or miss. I assume the socket could be the problem.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
510 is Tyan's Fremont office, and I am not sure they are in the office due to our COVID restrictions here. Let me see if I can ping someone who may have more insight.

On the training error, one of the #1 reasons we have seen these in the lab is that the CPU is not properly torqued or there is an electrical issue on that path due to debris or something. It seems like you already tried that with the different CPUs and reseats, but just for others, that is something to look at.

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
Thanks, Patrick.

My last Tyan board was ages ago: Tiger MPX S2466 with a pair of Athlon MP 2800+. This Tomcat takes me back down memory lane... quite literally.

I really appreciate it.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
The PMU training error persist with any of the following troubleshooting: (1) used memory on the QVL, (2) rearranged/swapped memory locations and configuration settings, (3) reseated the CPU, (4) tried a different CPU, and (5) tried different memory.
Tyan customer support is as good (or as bad) as SuperMicro. If you're a large corporate customer, they will move heaven and earth. If you have a single motherboard, they will do their best to resolve the issue, but both SM & Tyan will take their time.

When testing is the motherboard installed in a server case? Or have you tried it outside the case? Also have you used a torque wrench to set the correct torque for the CPU socket? I would assume so, since you mentioned the CPU is working fine on a Supermicro motherboard ...

One option might be to use a loupe or magnifying glass and look carefully for bent pins on the CPU socket ...

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
Thankfully, the ticked moved from processing to pending! I just sent the requested info for issuance of an RMA number.

It's installed in a Chenbro RM238 series chassis, and I didn't have any luck outside of it. I'm also using the Threadripper torque wrench, and I didn't see anything from eyeshot; I'll definitely take a look at the pins with a magnifying glass before I pack it up.