Tyan BIOS Updates

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

logicx

Mar 4, 2022
Has anyone else found Tyan to be very slow on BIOS updates and their support being poor?

We have a Tyan Transport HX TS75B8252 which was reviewed very highly on the STH Main Site and it has indeed been a good performer, but starting to get concerned about the complete lack of after-sales support from Tyan...
  • BIOS is from March 2021 (So no fixes for Epyc Vulnerabilities).
  • BMC Firmware is from June 2020 and still technically is a Beta release.
  • Drivers (Chipset etc.) are all from 2020 or 2019 - not even official support for Windows Server 2022.
Contacted with Tyan Support (see attached) asking both about the timeline for updates and also what BIOS features are disabled (a lot of the security features in Epyc don't seem to be exposed on the shipped BIOS)... it took them 2 weeks and then they requested information, still no follow up given reminders. So 2 months since the ticket nearly - no updates, no timelines, no information. Dell released a BIOS updates to address the Epyc security issues within the same month as they were announced.

Crazy if Tyan are serious about pushing to businesses.

Attachments

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I have been making a decision between an SM h12 vs the Tyan 8030 tomcat. SM has always been responsive with support requests and they supplied bios updates for spectre on obsolete boards. Your post just deep sixed the Tyan board for me, as I usually get 8 years out of each server cycle and that require firmware updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: logicx

logicx

Mar 4, 2022
I have been making a decision between an SM h12 vs the Tyan 8030 tomcat. SM has always been responsive with support requests and they supplied bios updates for spectre on obsolete boards. Your post just deep sixed the Tyan board for me, as I usually get 8 years out of each server cycle and that require firmware updates.
Yes, its a shame that Tyan have taken this way with their customers and frankly, I don't really get their logic on this case... their vendors are the ones supplying most of the code, they just have to make a few builds, run some tests (mostly automated) and release them... not to mention that their products are clearly aimed at businesses, where security and reliability are important.

I've now passed this matter on to our legal guys, as we feel they are in breach of contract, having supplied a defective product (https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-1021) and provided no fix, even within the warranty period - AMD pretty much transfers the need for the update on to the OEMs.

Honestly, cannot believe we have to go through such bulls**t for a BIOS update to address critical vulnerabilities on something aimed at businesses and is just a year old.

Where we are based, Supermicro don't have much market share and given we would need to import it, got excited about the STH review. Gonna check out Supermicro, Dell and HP next.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Honestly Dell and HPE are on top of firmware updates the best as far as I can tell. Supermicro are good. Good support is part of the product cost really.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Honestly Dell and HPE are on top of firmware updates the best as far as I can tell. Supermicro are good. Good support is part of the product cost really.
I stopped using HPE in my home when updates went behind a paywall. HPE puts the Proprietary in ISS.