EU Tyan 2U POWER8 (TN71-BP012) - 299€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
It's very likely to be quite loud, if the idle power consumption is indeed 200W. But I couldn't find any dB figures listed in the service manual.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If you want to run some Linux on power it’s a decent price for sure.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
That the first I've seen an IBM power processor in another brand case. Too bad they don't ship to the US.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That the first I've seen an IBM power processor in another brand case. Too bad they don't ship to the US.
It’s OpenPower system, used mostly for HPC, it’s also aimed at Linux only and does not have the firmware to run AIX or AS/400 IOS.

antoinec

Feb 1, 2021
Hi Guys,

I know it is probably too late to answer this thread. This is just an attempt ...

I am interested in getting one of these Tyan Habanero servers. If you happen to have have one lying around who is looking for a "warm" and debian-friendly shelter in Paris, please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Thanks,

Antoine

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Should be some of p8 gear around , not sure about this model though.

first customer shipment lists being created now for power 10 systems :)

antoinec

Feb 1, 2021
Thanks a lot @Evan. Could you please give more detailed info?

I really need a p8 gear to run some cpu intensive tests (10cores + smt8 welcome here ;). The Tyan habanero seems quite OK for this.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Try looking for actual IBM S822L’s or similar , should find something the right price if you wait a small while, and of course the Tyan will drop onto the market from time to time as well but had a pretty limited usage.

the question is do you really need Power CPU otherwise intel/amd is heaps easier and cheaper.

antoinec

Feb 1, 2021
Try looking for actual IBM S822L’s or similar , should find something the right price if you wait a small while, and of course the Tyan will drop onto the market from time to time as well but had a pretty limited usage.

the question is do you really need Power CPU otherwise intel/amd is heaps easier and cheaper.
This is for a test machine. I would really appreciate having a cheap Tyan as a starter. IBM is to be considered in a later stage.

Why not Intel/AMD ? 1. Already have it. 2. If I have a choice , I prefer non-intel. The available choices are ppc64 or riscv (next step ?)

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not much cheap on eBay right now, best to set some searches for 822 and 824’s and the Tyan models or just power8 and wait. They will come I think, I did only dispose my last power8 early last year but we always need bigger so move then on quickly.

Right now our Power9’s are almost 2.5yrs old so looking at the chance to move some power10 later in the 2nd half of the year.

antoinec

Feb 1, 2021
Thanks again, @Evan. Will be adding some searches on Ebay.

Looking at what is available now, the IBM 82* seem a very nice choice, probably the best for computing power, but the price is not yet comparable to what I expect Tyan to be (if it exists ;).