TWO RAID's to FreeNAS setup?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vikingboy

Jun 17, 2014
I am wanting to consolodate some hardware I have but not sure this is a good idea...would appreciate your thoughts and if I'm looking at a sensible solution....

I have two RAID arrays currently.

A QNAP TS259Pro with 2*4TB WD RED hard disks setup as RAID1 mirrored. This hold critical data like source code, art & audio assets and documents.

A long in the tooth Windows2003 Server with an Areca 1280ML with 15 * 1TB Seagate hard disks in RAID6 which holds a bunch of video and audio files. These aren't often edited but used as reference materials.

I think I want to migrate this to a FreeNAS box which would house a smaller number of high capacity disks to reduce space, noise, heat and power consumption.

In theory do I understand correctly I can create two arrays to mimic what I have already.
A RAID mirror pool with 2*4TB drives.
A RAID-Z2 with 6 * 6TB drives.

Would the Supermicro x10Sl7-F be a good choice for this. The drives in the above arrays would utilise all 8 of the LSI2308 (assume IT mode) ports. Id like to utilise a Intel x520 10gbe card I have here in the only x8 PCI slot so expansion room from here would be limited. Is there a better choice of motherboard for my intended use?

Last time I upgraded my Server2003 array, I plugged my then new 1280ML card into the existing box with the existing Areca card and copied across all the data from the old Areca RAID to the new card across the PCI bus which was quick and reliable. A assume the only way to get the data from my current Areca array to a FreeNAS box would be across the 1 or 10gbe nework connection, i.e I can't plug my areca card into the Freenas box and copy to the internally connected drives? Having at least 2 PCIe x8 slots would be useful in future I think....

thanks in advance for any help,
Ian

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
That would certainly work Ian. You are also consolidating 15 older drives into 6 newer ones which means less chance for failures assuming you burn in the 6tb drives