Two questions on the H12SSL

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
I bought a supermicro H12SSL-i, and preordered an Epyc 3 Milan cpu.

The supermicro website says the MB is compatible with epyc 3 with a firmware update. Can I do this firmware update with an epyc 3 CPU in the slot (or even without a CPU) or do I need to have an epyc 2 just for the update?

Also the H12 doesn’t show up in the list of motherboards for an out of band license:

Do I still need to buy that license for remote firmware updates or did they finally scrap that stupid approach?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
The supermicro website says the MB is compatible with epyc 3 with a firmware update. Can I do this firmware update with an epyc 3 CPU in the slot (or even without a CPU) or do I need to have an epyc 2 just for the update?
You can flash via IPMI, no CPU needed :) One advantage of not having to deal with the average consumer crap

Do I still need to buy that license for remote firmware updates or did they finally scrap that stupid approach?
Probably not, as the IPMI is identical across the entire Supermicro product range.

You can generate the key yourself, just google it... No need to support Supermicro's practises :)

EDIT: Clarified.

Last edited:
Reactions: ca3y6

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
You can flash via IPMI, no CPU needed :) One advantage of not having to deal with the average consumer crap

Probably not, as the IPMI is identical across the entire Supermicro product range.

You can generate the key yourself, just google it... No need to support Supermicro's practises :)

EDIT: Clarified.

not sure about that last part as they changed things up with the H12 series.

Step 3: Update firmware. User can check firmware update progress in Task List page.

Inventory
Use this page to view component FW inventory and manage Platform Firmware Resiliency (PFR) options for ROT supported devices. Users can see following component FW inventory based on supported components in the system.

Platform Resiliency Actions: This page allows administrator to manage Platform Firmware Resiliency options. Click on edit option to perform following Platform Firmware Resiliency actions:

● Recover: If administrator suspect any issue with current image or if current image is compromised then administrator can manually recover BMC or BIOS from backup image. User can select current BMC/BIOS image and click on [Recover]

Note: This action is supported under SFT-DCMS-SINGLE license.

1617463503631.png

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
Can I do this firmware update with an epyc 3 CPU in the slot (or even without a CPU) or do I need to have an epyc 2 just for the update?
You can update BMC & BIOS firmware through IPMI/Redfish without CPU & RAM. Just connect the 24pin power and power on your PSU, after the BMC works, you can access it through BMC Lan.
License is not needed to update BMC & BIOS firmware from IPMI/Redfish.