Two PM863 drives dead after power outage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Hello, yesterday after power outage due to storm, my server with two 480GB PM863 drives connected in raid1 via Dell PERC H200 started, and vmware reported no persistent storage. Checking in settings really showed no disks, rescanning H200 controller didnt change anything. Then I rebooted server and PERC controller didnt show any disks connected. Then I power cycled server and PERC showed degraded array with one disk connected. So I booted to vmware, started file backup and went to sleep.
In the morning, server was powered off. After power on, no disks were detected on controller. So I started troubleshooting. Tried replacing controller, which had no effect. Tried to connect SSDs via onboard SATA ports, but they were not detected in BIOS. Tried connecting them via USB adapter, but system just saw empty adapter with no storage attached.

So drives seem completely dead. P/N is MZ7LM480HCHP-000G3 and they were manufactured 2015.03 and 2015.06.

Wondering if anyone has any idea how to revive them?

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
with my own and very little experience, you cann't revive them.

my experience: i have windows 10 and 8* 2.5inch 2TB hdd. some weeks ago when i updated my windows 10 (tuesday patch day), i need to restart the computer after the update....then i lost my 4 hdd of 8. why ?? i dont know, but i lost them. do i had critical data on them ??, no, those were my hot-spares.

what i want to tell? sometimes inosent things (simply reboot your OS) can damage your storage.

Quartermaster

Right, now pay attention 007!
Jun 3, 2020

marv

Apr 2, 2015
reminds me of Intel 320 SSDs :( I recall seeing some dead 3.84TB pm863 drives on ebay and people here asking if there is way to recover them. Will try to do more search.

but definitely warning slap reminding that redundancy is not backup.