Two Pairs of Xeon 2696v4 and four motherboards = BSOD party continues....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Guys I am really running out of ideas....Just received another pair of E5 2696V4 and plugged it into the Z10PE-D16 WS and the BSOD party continues....now I figured it must be something in the bios that is causing all these issues and I am wondering if you guys have some insight on how to properly configure the board? Here are some bios settings that I changed:

- All overclocking features disabled
- CPU C-state is set the C0/1
- CPU Mode set to performance
- RAM speed is set to 2133 Mhz

All my bios screenshot is below via this One Drive Link:
ASUS BIOS

Last edited:

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
I had no luck with the E5-2696V4 on a SuperMicro board either, but at least you made it to BIOS w/Asus. Where specifically did you purchase the CPU? If it was Amazon, do you know the reseller?

You'll see someone else at the end of my thread confirmed issues with this specific CPU as well.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
I had no luck with the E5-2696V4 on a SuperMicro board either, but at least you made it to BIOS w/Asus. Where specifically did you purchase the CPU? If it was Amazon, do you know the reseller?

You'll see someone else at the end of my thread confirmed issues with this specific CPU as well.
I was able to get into windows on both the SM and ASUS boards on all CPUs, just not stable. The CPUs were purchased on ebay and the sellers all had thousands of 100% positive feedback.

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
The Ebay sellers are mostly the same stores from Amazon. Some people have luck with the 2696V4's and others don't. All of the sellers seem to be getting these chips from a source in HK.

I'm sure you already looked at the simple things like checking your stepping level, etc. The E5-2696V4 is not listed as a supported processor for your BIOS/board. The sellers will claim it works with all boards that support E5-2699V4, but that doesn't seem to be the case from all of the issues I've read about.

Rather than continuing to pull your hair out, I would try a different CPU that is supported and see if you experience the same instability issues. I bet they clear up instantly.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I was running dual QHUZ in my z10pe-16. This is like I think some very early step ES cpu. It has 20 cores but the speed is only 2.0ghz. and there's no 20 core 2ghz official intel part. even though it was listed on ebay as 2698 v4 es, I don't think its anyway related to 2698 v4 aside from the 20 cores.
Intel Xeon E5 2698 V4 ES QHUZ 2.0GHz 20Core 50MB 135W LGA2011 14nm Processor CPU | eBay

Here's more detail from hwinfo, cpuz:
Xeon ES/QS Turbo Bins Database

this es v4 cpu ran fine in my asus MB. so I believe the asus does support v4 es to some extent.

are you sure again that your v4 cpus are matching steps? did you try to run one cpu at a time in the z10 and see if you still get random lock up? also are the ram all good? use a stress program like y cruncher and hwinfo at the same time and see if you get any WHEA error.

you could just run 1 cpu and see if it's stable first or if you get lock ups too

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
Hmm, that's not good to read. I was thinking of picking up two of the 2696 V4's and running them in a SM 1028R-WMR (X10DRW-E Motherboard), but that might not work out.

It might be something with the TDP.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
UPDATE: ALL PROBLEM RESOLVED WOOOOHOOOOO!

Almost gave up and decided to plea for help online and an ex-lieutenant from the US Navy nuclear forces on anandtech saved my sorry butt. On a late Friday evening, he looked every every screenshot of my bios settings and told me to change two obscure XEON specific power saving features and it magically cleared up ALL my problems.

The following two are disabled on the BIOS:

- Disable C6 State Reporting
- Disable Spread Spectrum

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Great to hear problem resolved! Wondering if its b.c the es cpu didnt have those things properly implemented... I am still concerned about the fact that you are not running exact same step cpus which could possibly be the contributing cause?

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Great to hear problem resolved! Wondering if its b.c the es cpu didnt have those things properly implemented... I am still concerned about the fact that you are not running exact same step cpus which could possibly be the contributing cause?
The CPUs are final retail stepping and I confirmed via CPU-Z that both are of identical stepping.

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
You're the first person I've seen who has been able to overcome the issues with the 2696 by changing BIOS settings. Congrats and I hope other people find this thread when they are having issues with this specific CPU.