Twitter Down

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've noticed a # of "big sites" down today, and lots of news of attacks etc...

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I read about a DDOS against a DNS provider causing problems for a lot of people.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Yep dyn is getting ddosd. Happened twice so far today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

wsuff

Aug 16, 2015
Seems GitHub moves to Route53 for DNS as problems appear to be on/off most of the day.
GitHub System Status
I didn't even consider some zones have pretty high NS TTL so it can take some time to even attempt to migrate issues like this.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Seems GitHub moves to Route53 for DNS as problems appear to be on/off most of the day.
GitHub System Status
I didn't even consider some zones have pretty high NS TTL so it can take some time to even attempt to migrate issues like this.
Long TTLs will make any attempt to migrate away from the issue difficult, but at the same time they should also allow all of the other DNS servers to cache the results - if my ISP has cached the lookup for whatever name it shouldn't matter that Dyn is getting attacked. Considering the very distributed cache-friendly* nature of DNS I'm quite surprised by the impact this had.

* When I say 'cache-friendly', I mean more that is has extensive caching built right into the protocol, to the point that the caching almost causes more problems than it solves, so people turn down TTL's to work around the cache issues, which then makes them vulnerable to an attack like this.

Reactions: William and wsuff