Turn SM SC846 4U into expansion chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
Hey all

I have an SC846 that had an Intel S2600CP2J motherboard and E5-2670's in it along with 256GB of RAM. However, the Intel board just gave up the ghost leaving me in a bind because I have eight 4TB sata disks and 8 Intel S3710 400GB SSDs in the box. This was holding my virtualized pfSense firewall. To get back going, I powered up my R620 and am chugging away with that and obviously none of my storage.

So, I thought hey, maybe I can get parts on hand to make the SC846 an "expansion" chassis and use an external HBA/RAID (think H800) from the R620 if need be.

Thoughts on this?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Supermicro sells chassis like that and converting them is pretty simple. All you need is the JBOD power board (CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 or newer) and a bracket with SAS cables running to the backplane. Gets a little more complicated if you don't have the SAS expander backplane as you'll have to add one in then (be it standalone or swap the backplane).

Reactions: vanfawx

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Supermicro sells chassis like that and converting them is pretty simple. All you need is the JBOD power board (CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 or newer) and a bracket with SAS cables running to the backplane. Gets a little more complicated if you don't have the SAS expander backplane as you'll have to add one in then (be it standalone or swap the backplane).
You don't need a SAS expander backplane or external/pcie if you have enough channels available... and I wouldn't go expander for SSD myself especially starting at 8 already. In his case that could be 2x HBAs or a -16e for all 4 on 1 card. 1 card or 2 you're going to need cables though.

What "is" your storage setup?