1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbocharge your Quanta LB6M - Flash To Brocade Turboiron

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fohdeesha, Dec 18, 2017.

1. thunderliu

thunderliu New Member

I happened to purchase from this seller too. The first one didn't work so he exchanged for me (I didn't see this thread earlier). Then I received the second unit, it didn't work either. Opened just now, surely it's drilled.:mad:

2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

It drove me nuts, he had gotten at least 4 reports of drilled flashes and still hadn't pulled the listing. After messaging him pictures back and forth today I finally got him to inspect the rest of his inventory and he replied with "it seems we have bad stock, we'll need to return them to the vendor". Ya think? Couldn't have taken a look at them *before* listing them as tested and working?

thunderliu likes this.
  3. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

4. EffingWarren

EffingWarren New Member

Do we have any candidates for firmware for the LB8?

5. hien

hien New Member

i flashed my switch successfully even with the codes return from command md 0xfff80000 20 are not the same as one from the guide. however, this rom does not support ipv6 routing. Where do we can find the updated rom?

6. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

There's no ROM for the lb6m that supports ipv6 routing, it's a limitation of the management CPU.

Also are you sure the output didn't match? What did it say? If it still had "vu boot" somewhere in it, you probably just had an older or newer quanta bootloader than the example in the guide

7. hien

hien New Member

There WAS "vu boot" and different hex. I believe that different quanta NOS version / boot loader give different hex codes.
    For IPv6, i can add IPv6 address to the interface but not routing.
    I will test BGPv4 and report later.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

Making some progress on brocade>quanta for those who are nervous about a 1 way trip.

Figured out how to copy an external file (quanta bootloader) into onboard flash (loading an external RSA cert is the only tftp copy command where it *doesn't* do a type verification)

also figured out how to copy from flash/memory address to boot sector, now just need to find the memory address it's storing our "RSA Cert" and that should be it

d.ohlin likes this.
  9. d.ohlin

d.ohlin New Member

This is great news! Thanks for continuing to keep at it and for the update!

I personally don't have any desire (at least rn) to go back, but in some ways a "1 way trip" is always at least a little disconcerting :)

10. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

not to alarm anyone, but can someone who's been running the brocade FW and also has some 1gbe copper port links active, can you verify your mgmt1 port works as it should, and links up at 100mbps or 1gbps, and can ping out (after giving it an address). (check speed with show int management 1)

It seems a chassis has had it's management port die and will not pass traffic nor link up above 10mbps half duplex. 99.9% sure it has nothing to do with brocade FW but want to verify. it obviously works on the brocade firmware as the port is required to pull tftp images within the brocade OS while following the guide. Want to make sure it's not some edge case where it ceases working if you have 10gbe links active

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  11. verygeeky

verygeeky New Member

Here's the symptom that Fohdeesha is referring to: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hXXaHVHjzIv75VG23

In this video, the yellow jumper from MGMT 1 to port 27 demonstrates both sides (the 1GE link off the PowerPC and the 4 port BRCM ASIC). Running system shows 10Mbit/sec and Half-Duplex. It may be completely unrelated, but without additional units (well, ones with intact flash!), I can't narrow it down.

The second management port has link (left LED) hard lit. Management 1 behaves out-of-line with what's expected. All other ports are functional and layer-2/3 both behave as expected outside management.

12. d.ohlin

d.ohlin New Member

I would, but I currently don't have any 10Gb links, sorry! My switch actually isn't even in dedicated operation yet lol. Too much money spent as of late so gotta save up a little bit haha :)

13. Lumpy06

Lumpy06 New Member

I ended up downloading and installing just the switch firmware. I really just needed a switch. I found TIS08001c.bin and installed. I would have installed 8001e but could not find it.

It might be useful to have R/S firmware installed as part of package.

Lumpy

14. Morphers

Morphers New Member

mine did not work either.

15. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

here's the latest switching firmware: EDIT: the l2 image is now included in the main firmware zip on the flashing site

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Lumpy06 likes this.
  16. vrod

vrod Active Member

Awesome post and guide! Thanks a lot for this. I am about to go insane with some "vlan bug" it seems with my lb6m. I def. will try this one as soon as I can. Have you tried SFP-RJ45 converters yet, do they work with the brocade firmware installed? Would love to get rid of the hub I have laying in the rack as I currently cannot use any of the sfp ports with this.

17. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

Yup, they work. Verygeeky is using quite a few

18. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

Also an update on verygeekys management port dying: thankfully it had nothing to do with the firmware as we suspected, just a bit of bad timing and some unrelated hardware failure

edit: jk, it's totally this firmware causing the issue. will update the site with info

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  19. vrod

vrod Active Member

Awesome, thank you! But these will only work with gbit clients right? No 100mbit? I have a few management ports which are just 100mbps

20. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

I have no clue, maybe something @verygeeky can test. If it doesn't work, depending on how many of those clients you have, just put the 100mbps clients on the copper ports and the 1gbe on sfp