Turbocharge your Quanta LB6M - Flash To Brocade TurboIron - Big Update!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Most likely because they're 1gbe sfp's. on SFP+ modules you should see information.

note: your command "show optic threshholds" will just show hardcoded thresholds in the optic, not current information.

to see current optic info like level and temp, it's just "show optic 4" if I remember right. it'll probably tell you that you have to enable optical monitoring first, which is uhhh optical-monitoring at conf t level

Corsaire

Feb 3, 2018
Most likely because they're 1gbe sfp's. on SFP+ modules you should see information.

note: your command "show optic threshholds" will just show hardcoded thresholds in the optic, not current information.

to see current optic info like level and temp, it's just "show optic 4" if I remember right. it'll probably tell you that you have to enable optical monitoring first, which is uhhh optical-monitoring at conf t level
I tried with those commands but no information.
If I can I'll try with some SFP+ transcievers

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

Corsaire

Feb 3, 2018
I just checked Brocade's optics datasheet and realized that for 1gbe SFP's, only the models ending in OM (like E1MG-SX-OM) support optical monitoring.

page 5
https://www.brocade.com/content/dam...tasheet/brocade-ethernet-optics-family-ds.pdf

However on their 10gbe SFP+ line, every model supports optical monitoring
Interesting information.

I was thinking about a thread, or a wiki page, or something... to gather everyone tests and results to know what's working or not.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
OK I lied, the updated more applicable documentation didn't make it into the last zip update, it must have skipped my mind. But it's in there now! Along with updated quanta revert files (latest fastpath plus uboot bin with proper environment variables already embedded)

quanta revert guide and all that should be there in a few days, got busy with work then came down with the flu

schwartznet

Feb 7, 2018
@fohdeesha I got my LB6M flashed and all is working well, now i just have to learn the config and syntax. Is there an updated OS or is this the newest / last ver (I see it was EOL as well). Also we plan to use this as a core for simply passing trunked traffic from A to B is it easy to LACP a few ports and trunk traffic between two LB6M's

also via ssh I cant seem to backspace is this normal ?

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@fohdeesha I got my LB6M flashed and all is working well, now i just have to learn the config and syntax. Is there an updated OS or is this the newest / last ver (I see it was EOL as well). Also we plan to use this as a core for simply passing trunked traffic from A to B is it easy to LACP a few ports and trunk traffic between two LB6M's

also via ssh I cant seem to backspace is this normal ?
that's the newest firmware available. and yes LACp/trunking is about as simple as it gets

I thought I remembered for some reason backspaces working normal via ssh, it's only on telnet and serial that you have to shift+backspace. But it might be on ssh too. you can make it work like normal without needing shift by setting up a new putty session selecting the option below and saving it

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Added the fastpath revert guide, there's probably typos somewhere (please let me know) but the commands are correct and tested. The most annoying part was getting all the uboot environment variables set correctly, thankfully they're stored in the bootloader section - so instead of having a page long guide on how to set up the proper variables, I was able to set them all properly on a test box, save them, then copy out that instance of the uboot bootloader to the ubootenv.bin in the zip. That way when you flash it, it comes with all the variables set correctly to begin with

Revert To Fastpath - Brokeaids

@d.ohlin I remember you asking about this

Last edited:

schwartznet

Feb 7, 2018
@fohdeesha is there a good example config for these brocades? I need to trunk some ports and am unfamiliar with the syntax of Brocade. Im used to switchport mode trunk. I need to trunk all vlans on all ports

I tried doing

conf t
vlan 5 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 6 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 15 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 20 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 21 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 66 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 70 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 71 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 72 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 73 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 101 tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 102 tagged e 1 to 28

But it only tagged it on vlans that had a ve present

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@fohdeesha is there a good example config for these brocades? I need to trunk some ports and am unfamiliar with the syntax of Brocade. Im used to switchport mode trunk. I need to trunk all vlans on all ports
are you running those commands that whole line at a time? you need to seperate out the vlan command from the tagged command. When doing that like so:

conf t
vlan 5
tagged e 1 to 28
vlan 6
tagged e 1 to 28
etc etc

it worked just fine for me, didn't matter if a vlan had a VE or not. rebooted as well and continued working as expected.

config: Current configuration: ! ver 08.0.01eT203 ! ! ! ! vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLA - Pastebin.com

check the included documentation, there is an entire chapter on trunking/vlan tagging

d.ohlin

Dec 19, 2017
Added the fastpath revert guide, there's probably typos somewhere (please let me know) but the commands are correct and tested. The most annoying part was getting all the uboot environment variables set correctly, thankfully they're stored in the bootloader section - so instead of having a page long guide on how to set up the proper variables, I was able to set them all properly on a test box, save them, then copy out that instance of the uboot bootloader to the ubootenv.bin in the zip. That way when you flash it, it comes with all the variables set correctly to begin with

Revert To Fastpath - Brokeaids

@d.ohlin I remember you asking about this
Awesome, thanks for the update!

Unfadingpyro

Sep 17, 2016
Just got confirmation that my LB6M will be delivered today! Any tips or things i should be on the lookout for before i flash the brocade firmware??

Thanks!

mixmansc

Feb 15, 2016
It is pretty straightforward. Just follow the instructions carefully and make sure the syntax, spelling etc is perfect when entering the commands.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yup, just follow the guide, it's all in there. copy and paste commands only, don't try to type them. trying to type them out is how they get bricked

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Finally got around to adding a ton of stuff to the site that's been missing, including cleaning up a lot of grammar

As usual if you find any typos or have suggestions let me know. Beyond that I think I'm officially done with this project and I'm glad so many people got use out of it, it's been fun working with so many people. I did figure out how to do the same procedure on a Delta 7024 to turn it into a Dell 8024, but I still haven't found someone willing to try it :)

Also, to prevent this thread becoming the "brocade OS tech support" thread, please read the included documentation. We went out of our way to curate that folder so you have as thorough information as possible to learn from. On top of that, I highly recommend Terry Henry's youtube channel. He's an engineer at brocade and has hundreds of couple minute clips on how to do anything you can think of in the OS. Some of the newer videos might only apply to the newer code we don't have, but 90% of them are applicable: Terry Henry

Last edited:

Phinitris

Feb 26, 2018
Hello,
one more successful flash :)
Unfortunately I encountered the same issue as @TheBloke. After trying to configure a LACP between the Turboiron (LB6M) and a stock FASTPATH LB6M it crashed and now idling for 2 days in the datacenter :) Seems like it doesnt have a watchdog timer @AT S37=0 .
I have seen a lot of log messages that the port was removed and added to the port channel every 2 seconds. As far as I know the Turboiron rotates the log every 100 messages so why should it trigger a crash? I can not recommend using this in a datacenter yet if it crashes and needs to be hard rebooted. Luckily I only use it for testing right now :)

@fohdeesha is this caused by a log overrun (which would happen always at some point) or only if many messages are logged in a short time?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
It's the rapid lacp flapping that causes the crash, not logs. I have fastiron devices with more than 500 days of uptime and TONS of port enables/disables

This is why I recommend using the port flap dampening command in lacp groups, regardless of what OS you're running. It will prevent this. You probably also need to configure the lacp timeouts to match to stop the flapping in the first place