Turbocharge your Quanta LB6M - Flash To Brocade TurboIron - Big Update!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
Awesome! That's exactly what I needed! I'll definitely look into some videos by Henry Terry as he seems to be very familiar with the brocade ecosystem.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
He's an engineer at brocade and has tons of straight to the point videos like that, definitely recommend his channel for anyone needing to learn the OS

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
I'm a bit confused right now, i've managed to get OSPF to turn on but for some reason my interfaces that are all on the same vlan don't wanna talk to each other.

I know that OSPF is working because my ubiquiti edgerouter lite is showing the lo1 interface on the brocade as being reachable in its routing table.

I've put interfaces e25,26,27 all on vlan 4 but when i ping the hosts on those interfaces the ping fails with a host unreachable dispite the route to that vlan being in the routing table and all of those interfaces being in that vlan.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
are the interfaces untagged? and the stuff plugged into them untagged? or are the interfaces tagged? that could be a lot of things.

Is Lo1 the only thing showing up on the ubiquiti? if so that would be why, that's just the brocades loopback interface, having a route to that isn't going to help you. you need a route to the VE assigned to the vlan. have you assigned a ve to vlan 4, then given it an ip address? then activated ospf for that VE ? pastebinning your config (show run) would help

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
are the interfaces untagged? and the stuff plugged into them untagged? or are the interfaces tagged? that could be a lot of things.

Is Lo1 the only thing showing up on the ubiquiti? if so that would be why, that's just the brocades loopback interface, having a route to that isn't going to help you. you need a route to the VE assigned to the vlan. have you assigned a ve to vlan 4, then given it an ip address? then activated ospf for that VE ? pastebinning your config (show run) would help
Here you go good sir, Brocade Running-config - Pastebin.com. I noticed that my ubiquiti is the only one with an OSPF route. Something i'm doing obviously isn't right...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
That side looks good to me, but I'm not an ospf expert. The other side should see a route to that 192.168.1.0 subnet on the VE

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
The OSPF isn't really the issue at hand tbh. The main issues is that my interfaces aren't talking to one another! I try to ping ve26 from a host connected to e25 and I get a host unreachable. The same goes for e27 trying to ping e26 and e25.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Also dumb question, but how is the ubiquiti connected to the lb6m? The link needs to be in a vlan that has ospf enabled (like vlan 4), otherwise it can't exchange routes

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Oh, that sounds like a vlan issue. Your config has the interfaces set as tagged, are the machines connected configured for tagged traffic on vlan 4? If not, you need to add the interfaces as untagged, not tagged

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
Also dumb question, but how is the ubiquiti connected to the lb6m? The link needs to be in a vlan that has ospf enabled (like vlan 4), otherwise it can't exchange routes
The ubiquiti is connected to e26 via vlan 4 using the ve26 int on the brocade. I have a vlan 4 setup on the ubiquiti for the 192.168.1.0/24 network and both the brocade and the ubiquiti are using 4 for the tagging ID.

Edit: My machines are all using Windows Server 2016 and my NIC's are auto vlan sensing (they don't allow for manual vlan id input in the driver config. It's only either on or off for vlans)

Last edited:

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
So I fixed my vlan issue. I had to turn on brocade's version of a native vlan called "dual-mode 4" the number 4 being the vlan that I want to be native. I also had to untag e25 and e27. After I did that it started working. But after that I realized that I made a mistake in my topology design. I have two routers right now that are on the same subnet

(vlan 4 192.168.1.0/24)

R1 192.168.1.1 (ubiquiti)
R2 192.168.1.2 (brocade)
Because the brocade has direct route to 192.168.1.0 internally it isn't going to send any traffic out of ve26. So it's a design flaw by me lol

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
So I fixed my vlan issue. I had to turn on brocade's version of a native vlan called "dual-mode 4" the number 4 being the vlan that I want to be native
there's no need to do that unless there's untagged traffic on that interface. It sounds like there's a vlan configuration issue with the edgerouter. turning on dual-mode 4 just means that untagged traffic the brocade gets on it's interface will be tagged as vlan 4. If your edgerouter was really configured as tagged however, the brocade shouldn't be seeing any untagged packets

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
I don't know about the edge-series, however the standard VLAN on Unifi devices is always 1 and for the USG's and UAC's it's always untagged traffic. This is why the native VLAN mode was needed.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
He stated a couple posts back the edgerouter was configured to tag vlan 4. I dunno though, we probably shouldn't turn this into a general networking support thread :) you'd probably be better off creating your own thread @ASG16_4

Reactions: ASG16_4

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
there's no need to do that unless there's untagged traffic on that interface.
Well when i turned on vlan tagged on eth 25&27 they wouldn't talk to one another almost as if they were on seperate vlans or something or the port wast tagging the traffic when i entered in the tagged command. Dual-mode 4 and untagged was the only way to fix my issue.

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
I thought it kinda fit because it was using the brocade switch lol :) but i'll move along if need be haha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Did you actually configure whatever you had plugged in to e25 and e27 to send and receive tagged vlan 4 traffic? if turning on untagged dual mode fixed it, that means they weren't. If you're just using the ports as untagged, you don't need dualmode either. That's only if you're running both tagged and untagged vlans on 1 interface.

"or the port wasn't tagging the traffic when i entered in the tagged command" - that's not how tagged vlans work. adding a port to a vlan as tagged means it expects incoming traffic to carry the appropriate vlan tag, and traffic it sends out will have the appropriate vlan tag. adding a port as untagged does what you're thinking of, and will accept and send "normal" traffic to devices that aren't configured for vlans

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
Well then i don't understand one thing. Why did the LB4M let me usr vlan 4 on all interfaces even though the traffic coming into the port itself was not pre tagged by windows. I had an exercise earlier about setting up a vlan between the lb4m and the ubiquiti and for some reason everything worked as it should. Every port was on the same vlan and the router was also on the same vlan and everything just worked.

I see no reason why the brocade doesn't act the same way. When I throw an interface on a vlan then I fully expect it become tagged traffic when I do that.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Because the lb4m configured the port members as untagged. To get the same result on this firmware, just add them to a vlan as untagged. The Brocade is acting exactly as it should. When you add a port as untagged, it sends and accepts untagged traffic. When you add a port as tagged, it sends and expects tagged traffic. You have a configuration error somewhere on your ubiquiti or your other end devices and they are *not* properly sending tagged traffic. I would guess that you simply haven't configured them for vlan tagging. That, or you're vastly misunderstanding how vlan tagging works

ASG16_4

May 9, 2017
Okay so, I'm just here to say that I got it working! :) I did as suggested to get rid of that vlan nonsense I had going on and once I did that (after a bit more troubleshooting) got it working! I know it's stupid but I'm happy you guys helped me. I'm a dummy and I'm just doing this all for practice. This brocade is a really powerful piece of equipment!!! I can't wait to think of some other thinks to do with it (10Gb fiber coming soon!)

Here is a pastebin to my config and routing table - Turboiron config and routing tables - Pastebin.com