TS-473A?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020

Hmm the Perfect NAS for me?
I have an ESXi Server who I want, need Backup my Files.
Thinks like Compression, Deduplication would be nice.

Well a Timeago I bought this: TL-D800C (USB) | USB 3.2 Gen2 Typ-C JBOD Speichergehäuse mit hoher Kapazität
So I want, need stick with Qnap to get them work together.

Does anyone know does it is possible to use external USB HDD as additional Storage with the Qnap since I have some external HDD who I dont use currently.
Sry for the short post here Its very late and I am sleepy so someone from the US, Canada,... could replay and tomorrow I add some other thinks. ;)
Thanks

EDIT: Currently for 650€ with free shipping (to Germany): QNAP TS-473A-8G NAS System 4-Bay | eBay a good deal?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Seems like a pretty good deal (doesn't seem to ship to other countries that germany though), but remember ransomware groups are targeting Qnap owners (as far as i know, this is mostly preventable by not exposing the NAS to the internet), so perhaps you may want to consider putting TrueNas on it (which I assume you can as it's x86 based).

Also Qnap as a company makes me cringe for so many reasons, the TS-932PX which apparently has EMI issues that impacts the storage if it's too close to a wireless router, the fact that they for some reason have chosen to make NAS devices with all SoC vendors under the sun (Intel, AMD, Marvell, Annapurna Labs, Realtek, Rockchip and Zhaoxin are the ones I could find), and of course the fact that their security is apparently bad enough to make them a prime target for ransomware groups.

Reactions: elvisimprsntr

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
doesn't seem to ship to other countries that germany though
For that I use a Company who forward everything. The have a DE Shipping Adress and I pick them up here in Austria.
the TS-932PX which apparently has EMI issues
In my case the will end up in a Metal Network Cabinet.
(as far as i know, this is mostly preventable by not exposing the NAS to the internet
The will run in a DMZ away from everything just open to the other Device for thinks the should do.
of course the fact that their security is apparently bad enough to make them a prime target for ransomware groups.
I hope my Router is good enough to avoid such thinks. I hope Qnap is working to fix there problems?!

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
For that I use a Company who forward everything. The have a DE Shipping Adress and I pick them up here in Austria.
Fair enough, but won't that eat up the saving?
My german is more than a little broken, but here's a quote from their page, that I think suggests that they might be able to ship to Austria with a fee:
Alle Artikel, die wir auf eBay verkaufen, liefern wir, bis auf einige Speditionsartikel, innerhalb Deutschlands versandkostenfrei. Beim Versand nach Österreich wird eine Versandgebühr erhoben, deren Höhe Sie direkt am Artikel einsehen können. Lieferungen andere Länder sind leider nicht möglich.
So it may be worth asking them?

Anyway the same seller appears to be selling the TS-673A for 727 EUR (with the POWERTECH22 coupon), which as far as I can be arsed to look into is the same device but with two more bays. 2 more bays for around 80 EUR seems worth it to me:

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Fair enough, but won't that eat up the saving?
That cost me between 5€ - 10€ there is NO way that "traditional" Shipping is that cheap. (Ok ok + the Fuel Cost to drive 5km. :rolleyes:)
TS-673A for 727 EUR
Yes thanks I did would look up them to but I forgotten to mention it. The difference is 77€ who sound not that bad so 38,5€ per the Additional Bays. :cool:

Maybe someone could say something about the Device, OS,...

Reactions: RTM

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Don't listen to the haters. Do QNAP NAS units have security vulnerabilities - yes, they do, like every other complex software project, but they actively fix them. The most critical part don't expose ANY storage system directly to the internet. It's never a good idea.

I have a client running their second Qnap NAS (the first one just went off out support, and migration was a breeze)
I've recently consolidated from a bunch of DIY crap, including FreeNAS and expansion shelf, to TVS-872XT, which I bought on eBay for 1/2 the original price. It was upgraded to a max ram and added a pair of micron m.2 SSD. What I like about Qnap vs Synology is that Qnap provides you with similar money more powerful hardware and is typically more upgradable. Where Synology software is more polished.
As far as support goes, I haven't had personal experience dealing with Qnap, but Synology support experience with what I back then considered an enterprise-level storage system was so bad I had to blog about it here. As far as only 1 year ago - they still don't do 24/7 tech support. (Neither does Qnap). This is why then my company needed a cheaper second-tier storage system, we bought iXSystems TrueNAS instead.

TS-473A supports TL-D800C - you should be good there. Note that 473A m.2 SSDs are PCIe v3 x1, so you'd be capped at 1GB/s max speed.
My TVS-872XT is capped at 2GB/s max, which is closer to typical NVMe SSD speeds.
Also, it won't provide you with a hardware video transcoding without adding your own Nvidia PCIe video card.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Your name or