Trying to setup Ruckus ICX 7150 12 port w/Macbook

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

withoutink

Jan 10, 2022
I recently bought a Ruckus switch, and I cannot seem to get into the webui for the switch. I tried super/sp-admin for the password, but that didn't work. I then tried to factory reset (pulled plug, held rest button, re-enabled power, held for 10 - status lights all went flashing amber) but the switch never left the flashing amber state. Clicked the system button, amber flashing stopped. Tried the webui again, but no luck.

Tried to pop in a USBC to USBC cable and tried SSH'ing in via the switch IP, and it wouldn't let me in either.

Any idea how I can get this working using a Mac to get in there?

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
Do you have a serial console cable?

edit, looks like you can serial console via the usb c cable. Do you have experience doing that? Let us know, we can probably walk through how to do it. That should give you a view of what is going on in the switch and let you setup services.

Last edited:

Rain

May 13, 2013
I have limited to no experience with OS X, but a quick search for "OS X USB Serial" rendered some results that should be helpful. Looks like modern versions of OS X should already have drivers for the USB-to-Serial solution that's built into the 7150, but if not, Ruckus has drivers available: Brocade / Ruckus 7150 USB Serial driver MAC | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support

From my quick google search, you should be able to run ls /dev/tty.* in the Terminal to list all available ttys. Once you've found the right one, screen /dev/tty.whatever 9600 should open the serial console.

Reactions: Vesalius

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Yep, that's right. The simplest way to get into the console on a 7150 is a USB cable to the USB C port on the front panel. However, a USB-C<->USB-C cable may not work, amazingly... it hasn't for me. I've had to use USB-A<->USB-C cables, although that would be challenging with a MacBook.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
I have limited to no experience with OS X, but a quick search for "OS X USB Serial" rendered some results that should be helpful. Looks like modern versions of OS X should already have drivers for the USB-to-Serial solution that's built into the 7150, but if not, Ruckus has drivers available: Brocade / Ruckus 7150 USB Serial driver MAC | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support

From my quick google search, you should be able to run ls /dev/tty.* in the Terminal to list all available ttys. Once you've found the right one, screen /dev/tty.whatever 9600 should open the serial console.
This is 100% correct process and I have done it on this switch. This should be what the op does next. That should at least get you in so you can configure it.

Reactions: Vesalius

klui

Feb 3, 2019
The 7150's USB C port is not a pure serial port. Windows sees it as a Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge after the switch is powered on. So it may be challenging if you want to see what the switch is doing before that phase. Using the Cisco-compatible RJ45 serial port is a much better way to troubleshoot.

EDIT: I am wrong about the bridge need the switch to be powered on. See @kpfleming's reply below.

Last edited:

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
I used either of these:

screen /dev/tty.usbserial-xxxxx 9600

cu -s 9600 -l /dev/tty.usbserial-xxxxx

I can't remember if I used 9600 with my 7150 or 115200.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Indeed, the USB-C port is a USB-to-serial chip inside the unit, but as best I can tell it's powered from the USB port, not from the power supply inside the unit, so it's active all the time even when the unit does not have power applied. I've certainly been able to watch the entire boot process (from application of power) using that port.

Conceptually, it's the same thing as using an external USB-to-serial adapter and plugging into the RJ45 serial port, just slightly more convenient.

Reactions: klui

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I just tried it and you're right!

I never tried it and thought since the device is dimmed I needed to power the switch before I could connect using PuTTY/screen.