Trying to set up email alerts to Gmail on Napp-It

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aal

Jul 31, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm running Napp-it 14b and am trying to set up email alerts to Gmail. I've followed the instructions in this post and have filled the Gmail server (smtp.gmail.com) and my Gmail details in the About -> Settings -> Email Notifications area. However, when I go to Jobs -> Email -> SMTP-Test to send a test email, I get the message 'message was send' but receive no email in my Gmail account. This occurs when I try either of the options 'Enable Regular Mail' or 'Enable TLS Mail' in the Jobs -> TLS Email menu.

When I go to Jobs -> TLS Email -> TLS-test and attempt to send an email, I get the message:

Software error: Couldn't send TO <>: 555 5.5.2 Syntax error. lg7sm14715972wjb.9 - gsmtp
at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/15_jobs and data services/04_TLS Email/09_TLS-test/action.pl line 85
What do I need to do to get email alerts to Gmail working?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I don't know Napp-it in particular, but I do know that often times when I set up alerts to Gmail, they are not necessarily in Inbox but I see them in All Mail. Also check Spam. Then you can create a filter to exempt them if that is the case.

aal

Jul 31, 2014
I've already checked and they're definitely not in Spam or All Mail. Does anyone (gea?) have any ideas what Napp-it settings I might need to change?

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Silly question, but are you using 2 factor authentication on your gmail account? Maybe it's something as simple as needing to setup an application specific password? You could try to ensure that you can send an email via the command line as a test as well. Maybe Gea will have an easy fix though.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I just tried it in napp-it 14b (napp-it updated to 0.9f1 from July 17th in my case) and was able to send a TLS mail to my google account (and to my regular adress over gmail) without problem. (TLS is needed for gmail)

I would
- optionally update napp-it if to current
- check network (try a ping)
- check firewall/router settings
- verify if your password and target email is entered correctly

aal

Jul 31, 2014
No 2-factor authentication on my Gmail account. Pinging smtp.gmail.com from the Napp-It console on ESXi (sorry, forgot to mention I'm using the Napp-In-One VM) gives the message 'smtp.gmail.com is alive'. Deliberately entering incorrect details in About -> Settings and doing a TLS Test send gives 'Auth failed: 535 5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted' but putting the correct details in gives the error in my original post.

In the top-left corner of the Napp-It web interface, it reads 'Napp-It 14b ZFS appliance 0.9f1 Jun 02 2014' so it looks like I'm already running the latest version. Just to check that I'm selecting the right options in the right order, going to Jobs -> TLS Email -> Enable TLS mail and then Jobs -> TLS Email -> TLS test with the correct details entered should work right? Are there any ports that I have to open on my router end or my ISP's end?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Gmail use:
  • Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587
  • Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465

check if these ports are open in the firewall
    and update to 0.9f1 from July 17 as I have done my test with the newest 0.9f1 bugfix relese

aal

Jul 31, 2014
Thanks Gea. I've set up forwarding for both of those ports to my Napp-It IP on my router and have updated to the 0.9f1 July 17 release (pleased with how easy the update process is BTW) but using TLS Test, still get an error almost identical to the one in my original post:

Software error: Couldn't send TO <>: 555 5.5.2 Syntax error. lg7sm14715972wjb.9 - gsmtp at /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/15_jobs and data services/04_TLS Email/09_TLS-test/action.pl line 85
SMTP Test still gives the same message as before, 'Message send' but no email comes through to my Gmail account. Any other suggestions would be appreciated if you've got any but I can make do without email alerts if necessary...

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The error message claims about a TO <> error.
Are you sure, that the mailadress in the send to field is correct (ex same as the gmail email account)?

aal

Jul 31, 2014
Ah, that's it - the address in the mailto field had a typo in. Test mails now send correctly and end up in my Gmail inbox. Many thanks again for your help Gea.