Trying To Install ESXi To No Avail

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I finally managed to download ESXi through a great circuitous nightmare. I put the ..iso on a USB drive using Rufus. When I boot from it I immediately get a message saying "Remove this media and press any key to reboot". When I do so nothing happens. Thoughts?

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
UPDATE:

I managed to get into the installer using YUMI to get the .iso on the USB drive. Now more problems. Apparently it doesn't have a driver for my HDD controller. Can anyone either tell me how to or point me to a guide on installing the drivers during the installation? Also the manufacturer of the server only lists drivers for FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris. Am I hosed?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Whats the controller? A LOT of older controllers will no longer work on vSphere 7.0, with the deprication of vmklinux.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Whats the controller? A LOT of older controllers will no longer work on vSphere 7.0, with the deprication of vmklinux.
Well the BIOS for the card says LSI SAS 2008 IR. It would seem to me like that chip would still be supported. It worked in Proxmox.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
Well the BIOS for the card says LSI SAS 2008 IR. It would seem to me like that chip would still be supported. It worked in Proxmox.
SAS 2008 is no longer supported if I remember correctly.

You can run nested ESXi from ESXi 6.7 if you just want to learn and experiment.
SAS 2008 is supported on 6.7

Reactions: Jiaxinxi

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
SAS 2008 is no longer supported if I remember correctly.

You can run nested ESXi from ESXi 6.7 if you just want to learn and experiment.
SAS 2008 is supported on 6.7

Nested ESXi? You mean run 70. in 6.7? Sounds cookey. I guess I'll just use Proxmox.

Thanks everyone.