Trying to find a heatsink for an X11SSH-F and Xeon E3 v5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrBubblez98

Aug 18, 2021
I picked up a Supermicro X11SSH-F board for a new NAS build, paired with an E3-1270 v5, and bought a Noctua NH-L12S to cool it. I was getting everything ready when I realized the CPU backplate on the Supermicro board is not removable, and that heat sink requires the included backplate due to its mounting system. I was going through Supermicro's compatibility matrix (Supermicro X11SSH-F | Motherboard Compatibility | Noctua Compatibility Centre) and saw the NH-D9DX i4 3U listed as incompatible, but it mentioned their NM-i115x-1200 mounting-kit, making me think this CPU heatsink will work, provided I also purchase that mounting kit (I know I can get it for free, but I'm in a hurry and it's only $10 on Amazon). Can anyone confirm this will actually work, and if not, what I might need to do instead to make it work? Or possibly just a good alternative quiet CPU cooler that will just mount on the factory CPU back plate?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Noctua sayd there are smd components on the back side that prevents they're Backplate to install.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
we have had similar problem recently: the solution was to mount (right lenght) motherboard standoffs to the M3 thread of the original backplate and use Noctua or whatever collers have similar mounting mechanism.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
on SNK-P0051AP4 the BKT-0028L is included, should fit if your motherboard still have this backplate applied.

MrBubblez98

Aug 18, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion for that CPU cooler. Unfortunately I'm trying to keep the noise levels down, which is why I want to try make it work with Noctua heatsinks or other 3rd party ones, before going with an OEM loud heatsink.

Regarding the motherboard standoffs you used, do you know the specifics about which length was needed to mount this properly?