Trying to consolidate bare metal machines (need your input)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Hey guys,

I need your help. I would like to get rid of some bare metal machines in order to save some energy and space and to pay down my cc ;-) so I can buy a XEON D 1540 :p

In my current setup I have 3 machines running.

1.) Supermicro A1SAM 2750F
Case: Supermicro SC 825 with TQ Backplane
Storage: small ssd and a 3tb WD Red drive
Powered on: 24/7
Purpose: Running Emby, Plex, ubiquity mFi, ubiquiti unifi controller, Blue Iris
Power usage: 30 watts

2.) Supermicro X10 SLH / Xeon E3 1241 V3, 32GB RAM, Intel X520, LSI 9211 8i
Case: Supermicro SC 826 with sas2 Backplane // or Supermicro SC 836 with sas2 backplane (can choose)
Storage: 8x 6TB HGST NAS
Powered on: Daily from 19:00 - 01:00
Pupose: holding the media collection on a xpenology VM with all pictures, dvds and bluerays transcoded, boot up the VMs on the A1SAM in case I need to work on that machine
Power usage: 140 watts

3.) Supermicro X9 SCM / Xeon E3 1231 V2, 16 GB RAM, Intel x520, LSI 9300 8i
Case: Supermicro SC846 with sas3 Backplane
Storage: 13x 4TB WD Reds
OS Freenas 9.10
Powered on: once a week
Purpose: Backup for the two others
Power usage: 150 watts

additional parts PTJBOD-CB2 and PTJBOD CB3

I was thinking to get rid of at least one machie and one or two cases (that will hurt)

I would like to have one Server (perhaps the X10 SLH / Xeon E3 1241 V3, 32GB RAM) and have 2 JBOD chassis with disks.

And at 19:00 (or when I press a button on a mobile app) it would would be nice to switch on the jbod on and afterwards fire up a vm to then watch our movies.
After our smart tv is no longer reachable for 30 or more minutes the vm could power down and so could the jbod.

For the backup VM and JBOD I would even be willing to do that manually once a week...

Would this be possible?
What are your ideas to this scenario?

Am I crazy?

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You can power on/off JBOD and VM that runs them without an issue... they're essentially hot-swap enclosure but in a separate chassis.

I wouldn't really consider a JBOD on the same host as backup... the VM still relies on that host, and so does the JBOD. If the host dies you can't get to your "backups" to restore anything.

If you're trying to do something simple/low-power then maybe something like:
- X10SLH -- VMs & JBOD
- Sell the other systems and run a 2 Core for backup system... should have more than enough $$.

Reactions: Kristian