Trunking between two HP ProCurve 1810G-24 v2 switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Hi, I want to setup a 2 port trunk connection between two of my HP ProCurve 1810G-24 v2 switches.
I am running software PL 1.9 on both switches.
I configure a trunk on port 1 and 2, and I connect port 1 and 2 of the two switches together.

As soon as I connect both ports, my network dies, I disconnect 1 of the two ports, and I can again access both switches.
The stats show almost 100% failure on packets sent on the trunk and the two ports.

I can connect either port 1 or port 2, no errors, but just not port 1 and port 2 at the same time.

I have flow control, jumbo frames, and green features enabled on both switches.

I tried:
- both sides LACP active, fails.
- one side LACP active one side LACP passive, fails.
- both sides static, fails.

What is going on, what am I doing wrong, I've done a similar config on the older v1 switches, never had such problems?

P.

I looked at the differences between my v1 switch and my v2 switches, and spanning tree protocol is in the v2 config, I enabled it, and no more dying when both ports are connected.
I really do not understand why I need to enable STP to get trunking to work, is enabling STP correlation or causation?

I currently have LACP active on one end and LACP passive on the other, is this the correct config for trunking these switches?

P.

NEO Dan

Sep 30, 2013
Ohio
I also have some 1800 series switches and I am unaware of any such feature, so I am curious. Is this a special switch to switch feature?

I finally figured out why I needed to enable STP at home but not at the office.

It was the (stupid / too smart for its own good) Sonos equipment that created its own proprietary wireless mesh network, and they use STP, and I also had all the Sonos equipment hardwired, resulting in multiple paths and mayhem when the switches did not have STP enabled.

I accidently discovered this when I disconnected one of the child-switches from the main-switch, and the equipment at the child-switch stayed connected to the network, turns out one of the pieces of equipment on that switch was a sonos amp that bridged over wireless mesh to the rest of network.

P.