TrueNas with recently installed i350 cannot access jail web gui consistently

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

boggie1688

May 11, 2021
Specs:
AMD 3400G
MSI Pro B450
32GB DDR2933 CL16
Dell Perc 200
Dell i350-T4

I have a Truenas box that I've been using for years, every once in awhile hardware gets upgraded, and recently I decided to move away from the onboard realtek nic, and install a Dell i350 T4. I installed the i350, and Truenad detected the nic perfectly. I then set my pfsense box to assign the static ip previously set to the realtek to the new intel nic. RE0 -> IGB3.

This is where all of the problems start. I can access the Truenas SMB shares perfectly, as well as the Truenas web gui, however all of the jails are finicky. When the jails first start, everything is fine, but over time generally a few minutes to an hour, I lose all ability to access the jails web ui. The jails remain running, but I have to bring them down and turn them back on to give myself momentary access.

I've been pulling my hair out the past 24 hours trying to figure out what is going on. At first someone suggested disabling the realtek completely, which worked for a few hours but the problem came back.

I tried installing a random plugin, and the issue is the same, I can't access the new plugins web gui. I don't understand why the web guis work, then stop working, then work again after cycling them off and back on .

The Truenas has a static ip, and all the jails are assigned a static ip as well. This is done by the pfsense box based on mac address. I don't have any vlans running, and the pfsense box is use for some basic port forwarding, basic firewall rules, and two vpns.

Lastly, if unplug the ethernet from the i350 port, re-enable the realtek nic, and adjust the static ip to reflect the mac on the realtek, everything works absolutely fine.