truenas with new intel p5800x optane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I picked up a relatively cheap solution for my striped 4x1TB pny xlr8 using a gigabyte aorus gen4 aic. I have several of the latest gen m.2 and these had the best random 4k w performance.
The pny xlr8 are consumer ssds without powerloss protection (consumer ssd performance numbers drop in steady state)....

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
thanks for reading through my admittedly wandering post :) . You did seem to get to my main questions and confirm my assumptions that the ram/arc might help proxy the responses but in the end, the m.2 ssds will take a beating with any writes. Workload in this case would be copying files to the dataset via smb. I was sustaining around 16Gbps for the writes to the NAS. As you mentioned, this was probably hitting the arc so not really useful at this point. I am still working on setting up our testing sw which will allow for simulating a more demanding workload. I will also try and disable the arc if possible to get a clearer picture of the actual performance of the drives/config.
thanks again for taking the time to help.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
The pny xlr8 are consumer ssds without powerloss protection (consumer ssd performance numbers drop in steady state)....
good point and thanks for the heads up. I was aware of the lack of plp but didn't think about the drop off from steady state. this will probably come into play when trying to transfer really large data sets which will be part of these tests.
thanks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Well at least the ram/arc looks to be up to the task: I am guessing this might be one of the reasons you like the nvdimms :) The milan cpus should be even better at least with regards to mem latency.

1619469364668.png

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I am first trying to optimize the nas side. The 16Gbps was just with a single w10 client doing a simple file transfer to the nas. I still need to set up the test gear to generate the full load.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
What was the max storage throughput you have seen on your setups with TN?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think I got some 50GBit when using Chelsio's RDMA implementation

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks. That was for storage throughput, correct? What was your TN setup? How did you measure?

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Where are you sourcing the p5800x from? Been trying to get my hands on one.
I got it from provantage. I was trying to get a couple of the 400G versions but couldn't find any in stock. the 800G versions showed up for a couple of days at a few different sites. They have now seemed to disappear along with the intel 5510 nvme "normal" drives. Might be a chia thing!

Reactions: jolly

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I have some details here:
I think the 53G were with 4 or 6 Optane 900p's in a Mirror config, else same setup as in the last post of the thread i linked
Hello Rand,
Thanks for the link. that is what I have been searching for. It looks like you striped 12 sas3 drives for your pool/vdev and got around 40Gbps as measured by both windows perf mon and the fio output. what type of dataset did you use? ex. samba for smb shares.

It looks like you tested this setup with the following fio cmd:

fio --direct=1 --refill_buffers --norandommap --randrepeat=0 --group_reporting --ioengine=windowsaio --size=100G --bs=128k --iodepth=1 --numjobs=16 --rw=write --filename=fio.test -name win1

Can you help me understand some of the details of the cmd above? Where did you run this command from? I am assuming that you would run the command from some client machine on the 100G network and point it at the vdev that you want to test.
How do you ensure that you are testing the actual vdev and not just the ram?

You also mention that you use one xeon gold 5122 cpu. Isn't that just a 4c cpu?

Can you also elaborate on your comments above regarding getting around 53Gbps with 4 or 6 optane 900Ps in a mirror? Did you use the optanes in a separate vdev and test just those instead of the 12 striped sas drives? or was it some combination of all of them?

Thanks for taking the time again to help get me further down the road!
jp

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hi,
yes it was SMB, running on a windows Server as client, i.e. mount share via Samba, run on client box.

I see I said 5122, can't remember the exact setup, maybe this was after switching to the other board. Will need to see if I find some old notes.

Its likely that some of the performance was from memory, but I used a 100G test file size, so hopefully that excluded most of it; but in the end it shows what FreeNas can do with good hardware (and rdma), how many drives of what type/setup will depend on specific requirements.

Re 53Gbps - thats what I think (remember) was the maximum I hit in various experiments, and it either was with the same 12 drives or a mirror'ed optane setup, didnt have anything else at that time.

Combining both would not speed up things.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Hi,
yes it was SMB, running on a windows Server as client, i.e. mount share via Samba, run on client box.

I see I said 5122, can't remember the exact setup, maybe this was after switching to the other board. Will need to see if I find some old notes.

Its likely that some of the performance was from memory, but I used a 100G test file size, so hopefully that excluded most of it; but in the end it shows what FreeNas can do with good hardware (and rdma), how many drives of what type/setup will depend on specific requirements.

Re 53Gbps - thats what I think (remember) was the maximum I hit in various experiments, and it either was with the same 12 drives or a mirror'ed optane setup, didnt have anything else at that time.

Combining both would not speed up things.

Thanks again for your help. I did some more research and found out the answers to some of my questions. the direct=1 param should force fio to bypass the ram. I tried your exact command first on a local drive on windows 10 with a single pm1733 ssd:

1620699961721.png

I then mapped a smb share from the TN server. I tried to run the same command and the test started but then the TN server would reboot. This happened repeatedly. I was using the latest build of TN ver 12.0U3.1. It has been very inconsistent with trying to map network shares created by TN. the permissions don't seem to work the same twice! I have read a few other posts regarding similar issues. I was able to map a share but it took several tries and I am still not sure how I was able to get it to connect. Using your fio script without any changes doesn't seem to work with my TN setup. I will try and tweak it when I can find some time (difficult with my current day job!) to see where it breaks in my setup. At least you have shown me a basic way to test the performance with some opensource tools.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If the server starts to reboot under load then there is either an OS issue or a HW issue.

Can you run the same command successfully locally on the box (substitute windowsaio through posixaio) ?
If so that would point to a network issue, if not a local/hw issue

You aren't per chance fluid in perl? I have an (very rough) perl script to automatically test different pool layouts with different log devices which used to run on FN11.3. Have not touched since so not sure it still does, but I wrote it exactly for situations like this where you have lots of drives and options and no idea what the best setup is. Its just dumping output to huge csv files, but you do get all commands it used so can copy & paste for trying individual parts...

I really should put it on Github one day...

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
at least I have finally eliminated the datastore as a potential bottleneck. Now to try and get a lagg working on the mellanox dual 100G nic.

1622610324642.png

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
If I modify the iodepth to 8, I am able to improve the throughput to 135.2Gbps. I will need to sort out a couple more issues with the storage to try and take it to the ultimate goal of 200Gbps of sustained I/O. We're gonna need a bigger boat!

1622611209015.png