TrueNAS with Intel CPU performance & efficiency cores?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Anyone running TureNAS on newer GEN intel CPU that has performance and efficient cores?

How's it work?

Any difference?

BSD vs Linux TrueNAS -- how do they both handle it?

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
I have a TrueNAS Scale box with a 12600K (6P4E), though it's primarily a virtualization and container server plus some backup for my main Core box. I haven't noticed anything funny in terms of performance; I'm running a Windows 11 gaming VM with 5 cores/10 threads allocated and everything's been scheduled onto the appropriate cores. One minor thing is the Alder Lake iGPU isn't supported out-of-the-box but it's pretty trivial to enable it.

Anything in particular you'd like tested out?

Reactions: T_Minus

ano

Nov 7, 2022
linux performance is very good theese days, and zfs itself from 2.1.6 is much faster

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a TrueNAS Scale box with a 12600K (6P4E), though it's primarily a virtualization and container server plus some backup for my main Core box. I haven't noticed anything funny in terms of performance; I'm running a Windows 11 gaming VM with 5 cores/10 threads allocated and everything's been scheduled onto the appropriate cores. One minor thing is the Alder Lake iGPU isn't supported out-of-the-box but it's pretty trivial to enable it.

Anything in particular you'd like tested out?
Mostly was curious how it handled managing the processes and core utilization between the core types, and just in general since this is newer architecture for Intel, I wasn't sure if Linux, Windows, ZFS, etc, could utilize it fully or properly... :)

Reactions: reasonsandreasons

ano

Nov 7, 2022
you need to get up into dual 7763 before ZFS doesent eat all your cpu

Stankyjawnz

Aug 2, 2017
I believe truenas scale is using kernel 5.15. I dont think the official Intel thread director has been merged to the Linux kernel yet. This is difficult to figure out because there is a bunch of fake news when it was planned to be merged in 5.18 but it didn't happen.
Bottom line is alder lake will work with 5.15. a number of people found improved performance with 5.18. I think it is possible efficiency improvements could happen when Intel's thread director is finally merged.