TrueNAS SMB Share - files show a different group under Ubuntu (root) vs (myusername) under Windows and TrueNAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

petreza

Dec 28, 2017
I have setup a SMB share (and a NFS share too) in Truenas 12.0-U8. Shout-out to David McKone's detailed guide(s for both) on youtube:

The user name and primary group on both TrueNAS and my Ubuntu Desktop are the same: myusername:myusername.
When I setup the ACL for the dataset I applied the file permissions recursively.
In both TrueNAS Shell and Windows files show as myusername:myusername
but in Ubuntu they show as myusername:root
How do I fix that?

(
When I setup the NFS share I had a similar problem with Ubuntu. The files were showing as
nobody
In that case I had to edit /etc/idmapd.conf to match the Domain with the one setup in TrueNAS. Maybe this issue is related - that's why I mention it.
)

Thanks!

Last edited:

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
NFS will expose things with user and group ID numbers... how's the GID on those files vs the GID in on your Ubuntu box?

Reactions: itronin

petreza

Dec 28, 2017
Thanks, but the problem is with the SMB share, not the NFS. I mentioned the NFS parenthetically only because it had similar issue, which is now resolved.

Let me reiterate for clarity:

TrueNAS:
Users: myusername - UID 1000
Groups: myusername - GID 1000
SMB share of MyDataset
"Edit Permissions" of MyDataset:
--- user: myusername; 'check' Apply User
--- group: myusername; 'check' Apply Group
--- Access Control List:
+++ owner@; Full Control
+++ group@; Full Control
--- 'check' Apply permissions recursively
at the TrueNAS shell:
--- ll -n
inside the MyDataset shows 1000:1000

Windows client:
right click --> Properties --> Security Tab --> Group and user names: myusername, myusername

Ubuntu client:
(mounted through /etc/fstab)
ls -n
shows 1000:0
id myusername
uid=1000(myusername) gid=1000(myusername) groups=1000(myusername),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo).....
id root
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
If I create a new file through Ubuntu it again shows 1000:0 on Ubuntu and 1000:1000 in TrueNAS shell.
I want ls -n to show 1000:1000 on Ubuntu as it is supposed to.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BShoppy

Apr 16, 2021
Do you have uid=1000, gid=1000 set as options in your /etc/fstab mount?

That is how I get Linux clients to mount with the correct user/group

petreza

Dec 28, 2017
Do you have uid=1000, gid=1000 set as options in your /etc/fstab mount?

That is how I get Linux clients to mount with the correct user/group

This was it. Thanks!
I only had uid=1000.
I added gid=1000 and after a reboot it shows correctly.
So, the "credentials=/path/file" of the cifs mount in fstab is strictly for gaining access to the share files. Once mounted, they show according to the "uid=####,gid=####" parameters in fstab.